Help! New Baby Can't Stand after hatch!

chickiemom81

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2017
Alabama
Hi everyone! :frow I am brand new here to posting, although I do read the forums a lot :) I apologize if this question has already been covered. I searched all over the internet and cannot find anything specific to my issue. First of all, let me start at the beginning. I set 25 Buff Orphington eggs in the incubator on 5-25-17, Turning them manually 3 times per day until day 18. I ended up with only 19 that were viable by lockdown. I have a Hova-Bator still air incubator, which I read online to keep the temp higher around 101-102 which I did and the humidity between 30-40. I mostly ran it dry to keep the humidity at that level and added small amounts of water to a sponge with a syringe. At lockdown, I raised the humidity to 70 by adding water to the incubator itself and lowered the temp to 100 as instructed from forums online. Well... Yesterday was day 21-Hatch Day!! Of course I was super excited!! But only 2 (out of 19) chicks have hatched. :( (btw I did candle these eggs on day 18 and there was movement in them at that time) Anyways, on to the big question......The first chick that hatched is perfectly fine. The 2nd chick cannot stand up at all. It only took him 3 hours from pip to hatch. The only thing that I can find online is for the spraddle leg and to use vet tape or band-aids. I have actually had a puppy born with that before and did vet wrap to fix its legs...That is not going to help in this situation because the chick can not stand up on his legs at all. He does not flip over or anything. He just sits on his belly with his legs under him. The legs are not sticking out to the side or from behind. When I hold his body weight up and stand his legs on the floor, his legs and toes are correct. Taping is not going to work if he cannot use his legs at all..When he wants to move, he sort of just flops around forward... If anyone has any idea what is going on here I would really appreciate any suggestions. And If you know what could have gone wrong with the other eggs(today is day 22 and they are still in the Bator), Please let me know...sigh... This is my first attempt at incubating :(
Thanks in Advance! I hope I posted this in the right place. I couldn't find how to post.

Last edited:
I had chicks who were a little weaker with leg muscles than the others. Lay down and put it on your stomach and call it over, it'll head to your voice in an awkward manner which'll build up the leg muscles. I do that with any weak-legged chicks I get and within 1 or 2 days they are more stable on their feet.

I had chicks who were a little weaker with leg muscles than the others. Lay down and put it on your stomach and call it over, it'll head to your voice in an awkward manner which'll build up the leg muscles. I do that with any weak-legged chicks I get and within 1 or 2 days they are more stable on their feet.

Thank you for replying... I will definitely try that. Anything that will help this poor baby! This morning I did get him out and tried to exercise his legs to build up the muscle in them.

Thank you for replying... I will definitely try that. Anything that will help this poor baby! This morning I did get him out and tried to exercise his legs to build up the muscle in them.

If it refuses to walk even when hearing my voice, I lightly brush my finger over it's head to get it in snuggle mode, then move the finger away. Repeat it until the chick follows your finger. :)

Congrats on the hatch! :clap

Orpingtons are little fatties! :D I usually have one or two each hatch that take a couple days to get upright. As long as the feet stay out front, it should be fine. Just watch that they don't spraddle and need banded.

And are the 2 that hatched still in the incubator, or did you move them to a brooder? Have you candled the rest of the eggs?

Congrats on the hatch! :clap

Orpingtons are little fatties! :D I usually have one or two each hatch that take a couple days to get upright. As long as the feet stay out front, it should be fine. Just watch that they don't spraddle and need banded.

And are the 2 that hatched still in the incubator, or did you move them to a brooder? Have you candled the rest of the eggs?

Thank you! I still feel like a failure with only 2 babies out of 19 :( Hopefully the others are just delayed. I just moved the chick that is doing good in the brooder by itself, I left him in the bator until he was fluffy. I think I will move the chick that has issues in a separate area at least until he can stand and defend himself. The other one kept picking on him... he was climbing on his back and pecking him. He was constantly chirping. Now that I have the first one out, he is quiet and can get some rest. The legs aren't spraddled at all, just weak.
I have no pips or anything in the remaining 17 eggs. I did not candle them.

Thank you! I still feel like a failure with only 2 babies out of 19 :( Hopefully the others are just delayed. I just moved the chick that is doing good in the brooder by itself, I left him in the bator until he was fluffy. I think I will move the chick that has issues in a separate area at least until he can stand and defend himself. The other one kept picking on him... he was climbing on his back and pecking him. He was constantly chirping. Now that I have the first one out, he is quiet and can get some rest. The legs aren't spraddled at all, just weak.
I have no pips or anything in the remaining 17 eggs. I did not candle them.

I suggest putting a mirror and a stuffed toy in their brooders so they won't get lonely and have something to snuggle up against. I have been lucky so far to not have any issues with chicks bullying one-another, the most issue I have when they are young is them pecking at one-another's toes... Who also peck at their own toes, so it is more of a "What are these? Food?" Than aggression.

Back
Top Bottom