Help new chicken getting picked on!!

Princessred

Songster
Apr 10, 2019
Florida
I have a silkie and a Wyandotte, just added a fully feathered baby barred rock. The Wyandotte is being really aggressive towards her. What can I do to stop this? I have been separating them. But this is really not feasible, because it leaves one out of the run and we have raccoons and cats around. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 🙏

I have a silkie and a Wyandotte, just added a fully feathered baby barred rock. The Wyandotte is being really aggressive towards her. What can I do to stop this? I have been separating them. But this is really not feasible, because it leaves one out of the run and we have raccoons and cats around. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 🙏
Can you post pictures of your setup? How large is your coop and run (in sq ft)?
How long did you have them in a "look don't touch" setup?
It's very difficult to integrate a single bird.
The more space you can give them, the better. She also needs things to hide behind to get out of the line of sight of the older birds and items to perch on.

Can you post pictures of your setup? How large is your coop and run (in sq ft)?
How long did you have them in a "look don't touch" setup?
It's very difficult to integrate a single bird.
The more space you can give them, the better. She also needs things to hide behind to get out of the line of sight of the older birds and items to perch on.
My boyfriend says the run is about 20 square feet.

Attachments

• 5630EDC4-20FD-4A2C-ABB5-1306836DF7CF.jpeg
    5630EDC4-20FD-4A2C-ABB5-1306836DF7CF.jpeg
    768.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 00002F61-E4CB-4593-A2BA-8616D463882D.jpeg
    00002F61-E4CB-4593-A2BA-8616D463882D.jpeg
    907.8 KB · Views: 7
My boyfriend says the run is about 20 square feet.
Your coop is not large enough for the 2 birds you have and the run barely meets the bare minimum requirements.
You need a coop that is at least 12 sq ft for three birds and the run should be at least 40 sq ft with lots of things in it.

Your coop is not large enough for the 2 birds you have and the run barely meets the bare minimum requirements.
You need a coop that is at least 12 sq ft for three birds and the run should be at least 40 sq ft with lots of things in it.

Agreed.

Integration is one of the times when chickens need more than the suggested minimums of space. When space is already short they get more determined about defending what they've got.

I am planning on turning the whole area into their run, and extending the coop. I was going to do it last month, til I broke my ankle. I should have it done, in two weeks. I will just keep them separate till then. I don’t want to see this baby hurt. I couldn’t leave it where she was, she was getting picked on even worse and by a lot more chickens.

A dog crate or something similar inside the run for the time being will provide the new addition some safe space to user until you can get around to expanding the set up.
Yes, I actually had already brought out my dog crate. I will have to keep a close eye on the chickens till expansion. Thank goodness for Cameras! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom