Help !!!!!!!!!! NEW CHICKEN INTRODUCED!

love_stuz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
i have two hens and just bought a new one. She is fighting with the others and i dont know what to do? I'm not sure whether she is hurting the other two or not but they sound sad?? WHAT DO I DO??!!!!! :s

i'm no expert but i would figure out a way to seperate them in same coop for a week where they can see each other and then let her out with two different feeding spots maybe idk

Are they actually hurting each other - causing blood? They may just be figuring out the new pecking order. Perhaps the new hen has a dominant personality and is trying to put the other two in their places below her. If they're all about the same size/age, don't assume that the girls who were there first will end up the ones on top.

If there's no blood/injury, I'd let it go and see if it works itself out. Chicken pecking order can look cruel to us humans but it works for them and a well-established hierarchical order is vital to a smooth operating flock. Just make sure you have enough room for all of them so if one wants to escape for a while, she can.

Unless they are physically hurting one another to a serious degree, let them work it out. It is normal chicken behavior that occurs every time the pecking order is disrupted. Chicken society can be quite brutal.

I always introduce new members to the flock using what I call 'the playpen method," which is described in my blog here: http://eggcartonlabels.blogspot.com/2011/06/integrating-new-flock-members-playpen.html

In the future, it's a good idea to add more than one new chicken to an existing flock at a time so as to minimize the amount of attention the new girl is going to receive from the others AND to give her a partner to pal around with given that the others are already bonded. I hope this helps. :)

we used to fill up a five gallon bucket with water when the hens start fighting dunk them in the bucket of water it cools them off they usually calm down after that

Well i found out that the other two are hurting the new one, the back of her neck is now featherless, today i have seperated them so the can still socialize but what should i do from now? leave them together, or seperated??

Thanks that website was really helpfull, we are also bying a new one taday, for the new hen (Peri Peri) so she can have a mate.

Back
Top Bottom