Help! New Pullet has weird eyes!

HardMike

Hatching
May 15, 2018
Kentucky
I just got 3 new chickens yesterday, about 4 months old, barred Rock. So fluffy and sweet. It was dark when I got to the farm (daylight savings )
Girls were put in a box and brought home. Wanted to wait to introduce to my one hen until this morning so in the box they stayed overnight with some water and bedding.
I noticed one was a little more timid this morning than the others, and my lone hen was particularly interested in pecking this one. Separated them immediately, and came home for lunch to check on all. The one was still hunkered in the corner, and oddly at that. Then I saw her eyes what is wrong with my new baby?! Help! Screenshot_20181130-123537_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20181130-123537_Gallery.jpg
20181130_123408.jpg
20181130_123408.jpg

Attachments

• 20181130_123347.jpg
    20181130_123347.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 4
Agree with OHLD to give water and some electrolytes with vitamins (Poultry NutriDrench can be given orally into beak up to 3 ml daily a drop or two at a time. She has that puffed up lethargic look of possible coccidiosis or chilling that a sick pullet has. Try to help her open eyes gently, or hold something up to her beak and see if she opens them. Look for facial swelling and eye bubbles, since respiratory diseases may look that way.

It would not hurt a bit to start some Corid in the water for all of them, to treat for coccidiosis. If you get Corid at the feed store, stop the vitamins until it is finished. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days. Look her skin and her vent over for signs of lice and mites. How do her poops look? I also would mix some chick feed with a lot of water in a small bowl. She might need a little extra heat for warmth.

So sorry. She must have been sick before she came to you. Sick birds are easy to grab unfortunately. It happens when I buy fish too if I don't watch out.

So sorry. She must have been sick before she came to you. Sick birds are easy to grab unfortunately. It happens when I buy fish too if I don't watch out.
Appreciate it, she was the softest most darling. I am going to grab some corid tomorrow for the rest of my girls. Called the seller too, he said he hadn't noticed her being any type of sick, but this spring he'll take care and give me another (it's an hour drive one way, so imInot going again any time soon).

Back
Top Bottom