Help!! New Silky roo is a bully

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by craftbug1021, Oct 18, 2011.

1. craftbug1021

craftbug1021 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    bought a new blonde silky roo last weekend, He is beating the tar out of my other silky roo!! I have only had the white silky roo since labor day, when I put him in the run the other roosters were fine with him. Now I put the new blonde in and the white roo and him wont stop fighting. I let it go until the blonde had bitten a chunk out of the whites comb and he was bloody!! I have never had aggressive silkys should I just let them fight it out?? how far should I let it go??

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    It sounds like if you let nature take its course, you're going to end up with a dead rooster.

You didn't mention how many birds you have, but you may have one too many roosters. Not sure why you bought another as it seems you have several... maybe get rid of the problem roo or separate him out with some select hens if he's a breeder.

Edited to add: You should quarantine any new birds for well over a week to make sure they're not introducing disease to your flock. You can find threads on this forum by searching "Quarantine length" or something like that. Definitely separate out the blonde roo until you're sure he's healthy.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  3. Cammy

Cammy New Egg

Oct 15, 2011
    I have a silkie question also, I hope you don't mind me posting this here.

I just started my new flock of three hens, one is a silkie I have never had a silkie before, I feel that these hens were probably kept in a cage their whole lives and now they are free ranging some. I have them in a pen that is 20 X 10. My question is the silkie's nails are incredible long, I don't think they are supposed to be like this but am unsure since I have never had the breed before. I was thinking that if she has been in a cage most of her life she has not been able to work them down. I don't think she will wear these down naturelly in a timely manner. Should I cut them ?? I am talking about them being probably three inches long at the least.

Thanks

Cammy

4. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    Quote:I cut mine [​IMG] just use dog/cat nail clippers

5. craftbug1021

craftbug1021 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    Yes Cammy I cut mine with toenail clippers, they had never been caged but have really long nails.
    I know where my blonde roo came from no danger of sickness. I have 10 hens and am selling my youngest black roo this week so that will only leave the blonde and white roo's I am trying to keep one in a cage in the run half the day then switching them out for the second half of day in hopes that they will eventually ignore each other. We will see....if that doesnt work I will just have to make a new run.. not really what I want to do but they will decide...Its chickens ruling the roost!!
    Thank you for answering

6. Warrprincess688

Warrprincess688 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    Keep the roosters close to each other so they can slowly be introduced and see if that helps. sometimes new roosters will never be accepted and sometimes there like old buddies. I would keep them separated until they can calm down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by