HELP NEWBIE---Swollen chest, not laying ... Is this an impacted crop ?

Little Chicken Farmers

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Canby , Oregon
My 25 week old RIR has a very swollen chest. I also think she is the one who has not been laying for the last 5-6 days.(Had been laying consistently for a month or so) It is the right side of her chest that is quite swollen. I picked her up the day before last and felt the swollen area....felt kind of firm like the shape of an egg..... I felt the chest of another chicken and felt the same type of thing....but not so firm and not swollen. It actually looks a little better today....not so swollen. The hen seems to be acting normal......not lethargic or anything. What should I do ?? Seperate her/ No food for her?? If it is an impacted crop can it correct itself?? I have no idea!!!!!! Please help~~~~!! I feed a mix of layer cruble and scratch and a little oyster shell mixed in. Does the type of feed cause the impaction? They also free range and eat grass and whatever they can find....

Edited for my bad spelling when typing too fast!

Last edited:
I just went through an impacted/sour crop with my 20 week old pullet. She was sickly.. it was so obvious. I had to separate her from the flock.

Maybe yours is starting a molt?

Just keep watching her. If it is her crop, she will get lethargic and stop pooping. And her breath will small sour if she has eaten scratch grain.

What you want to do is check her in the early morning hours, like 4-5am before they have a chance to fill that crop. If it is still full in the morning there is a problem.

So take all the food out of the house tonight so she cant eat until I check her in the morning?

I usually fill up the feed at night so they can eat as soon as they "wake up"

How soft should the crop area feel? I have no idea about this!! I felt another chicken the other day.... I could fell her crop but it was not hard and swollen like the RIR was. Although it was less swollen today then it was the day or 2 before......

My Naked Necks will pack that crop so tight you can actually see what is inside it. If they find something that they like they will really fill up! Yes take the feed out after they roost and check in the morning.

Just take the food out for one night. Being hungry for half a day won't hurt them if it's not freezing out. Hope she just got over zealous and filled up too much.

As for the feed, I'd put the oyster shell on the side. They'll get it if they need it.

as nnbreeder and silkiechicken posted..

remove the feed at roost time..check the crop in the morning..it should feel empty, or flat...go ahead and feel for any lumps or grainy feeling..
but if it has emptied..it's probably ok..
post back and let us know what you find and how it feels.

if you have a temporary place to separate her for the night, you can do that if you want to leave feed out for the others..
but not necessary if you can feed in the morning.

make sure she is actually eating, and not just pecking, and appears to be eating.

some hens are greedy girls and will fill that crop during the day..

also agree with about putting the oyster shell in a separate feeder.

describe her droppings..color and consistency..
has she been wormed?

So I took all the food away last night. Left them all locked up till about 930 am. When I checked on the hen the swelling is completely gone, I felt around and couldnt feel anything !!!
big_smile.png
So I guess whatever was going on has resolved itself. I fed them and they were all eating happily..... I watched her and she was definitely eating.

Thanks for all the advice!

I will start putting the oyster shell seperately.

Could she have just been pigging out for a few days? It was pretty significantly swollen for 2-3.... Like she had swolled a large golf ball and it was just sticking out one side of her chest. Then was slowly going down

I am also pretty sure she has not been laying for a week or so. Would this have caused her not to lay?

As to the worming question.... They have not been wormed, how often does this need to be done? It is just something you put in the water?

Thanks again.... I love the BYC..... my hubby laughs at me but i have learned a lot! .....and more to learn

EDITED TO ADD THIS UPDATE...... 2PM....

I went out to check on her again. Now that they have had food since this morning she is all swollen up again...... So I am thinking she is just a giant PIG!!! I usually fill up there feed at night when I lock them in so they have it first thing in the am..... maybe she was just pigging out early so by the time I saw her she always looked swollen???? But I took the food away last night and it was all gone so she is emptying her crop......

So final diagnosis???: : Overeating little piglet !!??

AND>>>>> I got 5 eggs today so they are all laying
again....... was the not laying even related to this????

Maybe I am just letting them have too much food?????

These chickens are making me NUTS
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png

Last edited:
She wasnt necessarily pigging out. When they eat, their crop gets full. Thats what the crop does, it holds food until the gizzard can grind it up and process it. Every night, the crop should be full, and every morning it should be empty. The crop has nothing to do with laying eggs.

Back
Top Bottom