HELP Newbie with NEW chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chix4chance, Feb 29, 2016.

1. chix4chance

chix4chance Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    kentucky
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just picked up 11 araucanas, 13 black australorp, 1 buff orpington, 1 silver lace, and a couple of col. Rock.. all chicks... we got into the chickens last year with 5 buff orpington full grown hens and one buff roo.. which we still have... just would like to know if we got what we were asking for since this is our first time with chicks.. thanks for all the help! Love my chicks already!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your new chicks :celebrate They are super cute :love Looking at your pics I would suggest you take them off the newspaper and put them on shavings or something they can can grip to. Newspaper can cause them leg problems including spraddle leg due to its slippery surface. I would also move your food and water away form under the lamp, by doing this it gives them chance to cool down. They can then head back to lamp when they want a warm up.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Beautiful babies. But get that newspaper out of the ASAP. And your Araucana are actually Easter Eggers.

4. chix4chance

Feb 27, 2016
    kentucky
    Yes we have already switched to shavings this was just after we first got them home ... they have pine shavings now :) I just couldnt wait to snap a few pics before we got them completely set up... and there water and food are now off to the side ... they have a bigger enclosure than what they need so at first until they got back warm (from their 45minute ride home) we set everything closer until they settled down and got warm :) but thanks for all the concern and advice for my beautiful baby girls :) and thanks for the welcome

And just for kicks... how do you know the difference between easter eggers and true araucanas?

5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I think this link might help you with the differences between EE, Araucanas and Ameraucanas:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

A long time ago, I also read an easy way to tell the difference is in the price you pay...if you pay $5 or less for the chick, it's most likely an EE. And EE's are fine birds for a backyard flock, I've had one and really enjoyed her. She was a beauty and laid pretty greenish-blue eggs. So I hope you enjoy the ones you have, I hope to have more at some point in time myself.

Thanks for joining us and sharing the pictures!

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You can't get Araucana from a hatchery or feed store. They can only be obtained from breeders.

7. chix4chance

Feb 27, 2016
    kentucky
    Thanks so much for the link!!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How nice to see a LARGE Brooder for chicks., Beautiful babies wish you much fun with them.

10. chix4chance

Feb 27, 2016
    kentucky
    Thank you but I seem to be worried with one chick she seems to have a swollen bottom and seems weak idk what to do for her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by