Help! Newly hatched chick bleeding!

urbanhomesteader

Songster
14 Years
Feb 26, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
I may have made it worse! Not sure if there is anything more to do. Please advise.

The last chick to hatch and two others were left in the incubator. Everything seemed fine. I saw a drop of blood but thought is was from the hatching. I looked in later and there seemed to be blood everywhere! The last chick to hatch had a bloody butt and it seemed the other two were picking at her. I FREAKED......

Even though it may have been to soon (they were only partially dry) I took the two older chicks out and put them in the brooder. I warmed up a towel in the dryer, put the bloody chick in it and told DH to hold it...and to keep an eye on the two in the brooder in case the other chicks(11 of them) pecked them.

I poured out the bloody and soiled water from the bator and cleaned out the eggs(for fear of sharp pieces agrivating the bloody spot. I put the bloody chick back in the incubator and it seems calm and isn't dripping blood anymore. There still seems to be a drop on its butt.

Will it stop bleeding and heal? Is this fatal? Is there anything I can do to help? What SHOULD I have done? Did I doom the two who got moved?
barnie.gif

Sounds to me you did the right thing. Watch the little injured one...maybe some neosporin on its little bum would be good. If the other 2 are in a warm brooder, away from any drafts...they should be ok. Just keep an eye on them, make sure they are warm.Keep us updated!

Thanks Justusnak,

The two in the brooder are fluffing out fast with the help of its hatch mates. Everyone seems to have calmed down.

Little "Bloodybutt", as she is coming to be known, seems to be doing ok, though she is NOT happy about being left alone in the bator. She is chirping her little head off.
sad.png

If she has not bleed anymore and dried off by morning I will add her to the brooder with the others. She should be ok,I think as there is a red light and the others won't be able to see the red on her but ( if any left) Well we will see in the am.
Off to bed now.

Back
Top Bottom