Newly hatched chick bleeding from vent!

Ilovemychicks08

For nothing will be impossible with God-Luke 1:37
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2021
Wisconsin
Is there anything i can do to help save it? Its bleeding from its vent area.
Ive put syptic powder and cornstarch on it. It slowed the bleeding but its still bleeding a lot.
I also gave it some electrolytes.
The chick pipped around 6 am this morning and has struggled all day to hatch its now almost 10pm.
Thanks for any help.

Hello!

Cornstarch was a good call. That’s what I would’ve done. As far as slowing the bleeding, there’s not much else that you can do. Try to let the chick rest as much as possible, don’t let it be near any other chicks, and try to put it somewhere that its skin won’t get caught on anything (rough incubator floor, shells in the incubator, or other chicks can be dangerous in this situation).

How long ago did it hatch? Did you help it out of the shell or did it hatch completely by itself? It may have just hatched a little too early.

Is it bleeding from the vent or from the navel (a small hole below the vent which closes shortly after hatching; this is where the chick is connected to the yolk sac during incubation)?

A dry area may also be beneficial to help the hole dry out and close, but I’m not sure if high humidity will be harmful.

Hello!

Cornstarch was a good call. That’s what I would’ve done. As far as slowing the bleeding, there’s not much else that you can do. Try to let the chick rest as much as possible, don’t let it be near any other chicks, and try to put it somewhere that its skin won’t get caught on anything (rough incubator floor, shells in the incubator, or other chicks can be dangerous in this situation).

How long ago did it hatch? Did you help it out of the shell or did it hatch completely by itself? It may have just hatched a little too early.

Is it bleeding from the vent or from the navel (a small hole below the vent which closes shortly after hatching; this is where the chick is connected to the yolk sac during incubation)?

A dry area may also be beneficial to help the hole dry out and close, but I’m not sure if high humidity will be harmful.
The chick is alone in the incubator. I will put some paper towel down for a non rough surface. It hatched about 50 minutes ago. I think its bleeding from the navel.

If she's bleeding from the navel. Dab some neosporin or bacitracin on the open area.
Place her in a paper towel lined coffee or tea cup that will fit in your incubator and put her back in the bator for a while. This will keep her clean(er) and from wandering all over the bator getting debris and poop in the open navel. Hopefully it will close up.
She's going to scream her head off and push up while in the cup, that's o.k. that works the legs too, then she'll settle down sleep, wake up push, scream and sleep.

Grab a photo or two of the bleeding area before you put the ointment on her.

Back
Top Bottom