Help! Newly hatched chick has excess of saliva in mouth and constantly trying to swallow it down.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shlivka, Sep 19, 2014.

1. shlivka

shlivka New Egg

Sep 18, 2014
    My chick hatched yesterday AM. It was not an easy hatch by the way. And when I came home from work I noticed she had excess saliva in her mouth. I have never seen saliva in other chickens mouths before. It sometimes looked like little spit bubbles. She seems to be irritated/distressed by it. I tried to give a little drop of water from my finger and she freaked out. She hasn't been able to sleep/rest, eat or drink properly because she is constantly trying to swallow down the saliva. Does anyone know what this could be? I have removed her from brooder and I'm holding her to keep her warm and undisturbed by other chicks. When I hold her so her head is in a "looking up" position she seems to be more comfortable and can relax a bit. Though still swallowing. Also I have looked up all respiratory dieases in chicks and I do not believe she is opening her mouth for the purpose of breathing but rather for the purpose of swallowing. I don't know what else to do?! Please help! I hate to see her uncomfortable.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I'm sorry but this is likely a foregone conclusion. Sounds like your chick has either inhaled a fair bit of liquid somehow or perhaps has been 'born' with a deformity. I doubt she'll make it, but one can always hope.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by