Help-newly hatched Chick shivering and weak

coffeemama

Barista Queen
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Oregono
So I went against the rules and "helped" a chick out of the egg. It was the only chick that made it to the hatcher from some $25 shipped eggs, and I couldn't stand to see it die in the egg. Anyway, after a bloody mess when I tried to pick away some of the shell last night (stopped as soon as I saw blood and put it back in the bator), I started on it again late this morning. It pushed out of the membrane this afternoon, and has been laying there since. It did move to a different side of the bator, and tries to get up when I peep at it. It is taking forever to dry, and is shivering. Is there anything I can do for it at this point?
Not looking for "you shouldn't have interfered" answers. Thanks!

Also wanted to add that all other chicks hatched 1-3 days ago. It was the last.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do natural hatch... I read about the incubator hatches and what I find significant between the two is the matter of the lights...
Now I know you need them for keeping them warm and the right temperature is crucial however with a natural hatch the first few days are very quiet and still really most of the time as they spend most of their time under mamma >>>nice and warm and DARK... I have often thought if the simple fact of all that air/space above them in combination with the lights does not stress them out a bit...not a good thing when you have a weak chick with problems such as you describe. I have helped chicks (none with a significant amount of unabsorbed sacs) and sometimes they were too weak to trust with mamma and all the jostling chickies so I took my little special electric shoulder heating pad and put it on low and and made a little cave of it and then nestled the chickie inside that till it came around... nice and dark and the chick quieted down almost immediately. When it started peeping then I knew it was time to put under mamma ...
I am not sure how to advise you as if your birdie is already REALLY weak and with a rather significantly large unabsorbed sac or such ... temps are so important and you must be so vey careful not to jostle that unabsorbed sac.... Good luck with your chickie.

Last edited:
The sac is fully absorbed-no problem with that. It is still in the incubator because I'm afraid to move it out under the light and chill it. Thanks for the reply dl.

Thanks for the one reply
Anyway, the chick died overnight-never could get it's feet under it. It's no big deal-so is nature! Next time I will for sure have a less hands on approach. I helped three chicks, and two of them are doing great, but they only needed help because their membranes dried out when I was opening the bator to remove other chicks. This chick just wasn't destined to hatch-but it's so hard when they are peeping at you!
smile.png

hugs.gif
So sorry about the little chick. Don't beat yourself up about helping it out of the shell. I would have did the same thing if I was in your shoes. It is possible that something else was wrong with it that you couldn't see.

Yes, I don't think it was all right. The guy I bought the rir bantam eggs from threw them in unwrapped and loose with some peanuts and a sheet of foam on the top and bottom of box. The others had ruptured airsacs-I'm really suprised that one made it as far as it did. I do have 14 happy healthy bantam eggs from other sources though
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom