Help! Nieghbors want my rooster gone but I'm zoned Agriculture!

Breella

Songster
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Chapter 86: NOISE CONTROL
http://ecode360.com/11047988

Ok, long story short they are complaining about the noise that my rooster makes, they are saying he crows all night long. (he doesn't, he starts about 5-6am.

My property is zoned Agriculture, if I am reading that right there is a noise exemption for agriculture in my town? Anyone have any help with this?

Chapter 86: NOISE CONTROL
http://ecode360.com/11047988

Ok, long story short they are complaining about the noise that my rooster makes, they are saying he crows all night long. (he doesn't, he starts about 5-6am.

My property is zoned Agriculture, if I am reading that right there is a noise exemption for agriculture in my town? Anyone have any help with this?
Maybe, to keep peace, you could keep him locked in the coop until a reasonable hour.

We had a similar situation in my neighborhood- I had some bantam roos and was not zoned for them - so rightly had to get rid of them - a neighbor with chickens had a roo and he was zoned properly to keep it.
In this situaton the chicken owner did remove his roo even though he didn't by law have to do this.
If it had been me, I would have kept my roos and told the neighbors to get over it- that's what agricultural zoning is for -
and if thet're not happy with agricultural sounds why did they choose to live in an agricultural area?
You are within your rights, per the exception listed in your post - to keep your birds if you want them.
Stand your ground.
Explain to your neighbors... no farms, no food. No roosters, no chicks.

AG Zoning is defined as land with livestock or farmed as cash crop. Roosters crow, cows moo, and pigs smell. This is all part of farming and being zoned as Agriculture. Plowed fields create dust and also tractors make noise. All part of farm life. Your neighbor does not have a leg to stand on and should move if he/she does not like the sounds of country living. You have every legal right to let your roosters crow as they wish.

We had a similar situation in my neighborhood- I had some bantam roos and was not zoned for them - so rightly had to get rid of them - a neighbor with chickens had a roo and he was zoned properly to keep it.
In this situaton the chicken owner did remove his roo even though he didn't by law have to do this.
If it had been me, I would have kept my roos and told the neighbors to get over it- that's what agricultural zoning is for -
and if thet're not happy with agricultural sounds why did they choose to live in an agricultural area?
You are within your rights, per the exception listed in your post - to keep your birds if you want them.
Stand your ground.
Explain to your neighbors... no farms, no food. No roosters, no chicks.

I don't know about this, I feared I would face this issue too. I'm zoned agriculture but I have neighbors within 1.5 acres distance. I can tolerate the one neighbor but don't really care for the other. So far they have not complained that I know of. If you are in a suburban enviornment like me, zoning laws are subject to change. I plan on staying here for the rest of my life. To me peace with the neighbors would outweigh my desire to keep a rooster.

I have one rooster that gets his clock screwed up sometimes and starts crowing at 4:30 am. If the neighbors complain he will hit the crock pot. There are some things worth fighting for and some that are not.

Neighbors have rights too if you have neighbors most likely you are not a "farm". I plan on keeping at least one rooster, if that still causes problems I really don't need one. I can buy chicks for $2.00 each from the feed store. Right now I have three roosters which for my flock size is at least one too many.

I don't know about this, I feared I would face this issue too. I'm zoned agriculture but I have neighbors within 1.5 acres distance. I can tolerate the one neighbor but don't really care for the other. So far they have not complained that I know of. If you are in a suburban enviornment like me, zoning laws are subject to change. I plan on staying here for the rest of my life. To me peace with the neighbors would outweigh my desire to keep a rooster.

I have one rooster that gets his clock screwed up sometimes and starts crowing at 4:30 am. If the neighbors complain he will hit the crock pot. There are some things worth fighting for and some that are not.

Neighbors have rights too if you have neighbors most likely you are not a "farm". I plan on keeping at least one rooster, if that still causes problems I really don't need one. I can buy chicks for $2.00 each from the feed store. Right now I have three roosters which for my flock size is at least one too many.
I agree, we are zoned ag as well, but like you said, I plan to live here a long time too. I also have 2 roosters. I have not heard any complaints, and one other neighbor also has a rooster, but keeping friendly with everyone is important to me. I had a neighbor with a terrible dog who barked at and attacked me in my yard every time I came outside. It made me hate them. I had to put up a $6000 fence to get my sanity back. So I was on the other end of this too. To get respect you have to give respect. I would not stoop to that level of not caring of others. If they only want peace during the dark times of day, I would work to try to make that happen. Ask them if thats better and tell them you are trying to be a respectful neighbor. That will probably make them think more of you and then not complain to a ridiculous degree.

Last edited:
C. Sounds created by agricultural activities. You have every right to keep your rooster and tell your neighbor to get over it. But I agree with the others posters about trying to get along with your neighbors. You have to decide which is more important to you. If you really want peace with the neighbor AND to keep the rooster, find a place for him at night where they can't hear him. Try the garage or a shed where it will be dark and away from street lights, headlights, etc., that could set him off.

Where we live we have no laws regarding chickens and roosters, because we are on a street just outside of town limits and city zoning laws. We do live in a neighborhood though and we only have a 1/3 acre fenced in backyard, with neighbors on both sides of us. For this reason we were not going to get a Roo. Well we ordered chicks straight run and got 4 Roos out if the deal that we are now looking for homes for, since they are LF and going to be loud. While we were at a swap meet we found a bantam cochin Roo that crowed really softly and made the decision to buy him, and he is so quiet no one has even noticed because you can't hear him from 10ft away. We do keep all the chickens cooped until 9am though just incase.

Thanks for the replies. I have previously looked into re-homing my rooster but when no one complained to me about him I figured he was ok with them.

I know roosters are really fun animals, but if you are not breeding, it would be better to get rid of him before the government shuts you down.

Back
Top Bottom