Help! No chemistry in the coop

@learycow even now with the additional hens? I was hoping to have all my birds free ranging together by the end of the weekend. I don't mind housing them separately at night but I would hate to keep them in the run daily. Thanks!

All went soo smooth with the ducks today. My biggest issue was the rain! So after soaking my clothes and getting a fill of wonder/enjoyment seeing my birds all getting along, I changed into dry clothes, built a little hobo shack with a tarp and was able to enjoy my pipe and book while the ducks enjoyed the rain and mud. It was awesome.

Attachments

• 0F3DFD7D-E767-422D-8D7B-EF27758491E5.jpeg
    0F3DFD7D-E767-422D-8D7B-EF27758491E5.jpeg
    790.2 KB · Views: 5
So the photo of the 3 birds are the adult hens I picked up Tuesday night. They’re 2 golden 300s and the third I was told is a buff orpington, I’m not sure if that’s true. Any insight is always greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 80360CB6-8CF7-4416-92BD-A894F603FEA2.jpeg
    80360CB6-8CF7-4416-92BD-A894F603FEA2.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 6
Understand that your two large drakes are fully capable of injuring or if they have swimming water drowning your mallard hen. I know they are your pets, but is there any chance of rehoming one of the drakes. 'Team breeding' once started is a very difficult behavior to correct. Good luck - they are supposed to be about relaxation and enjoyment, but horny drakes are out of control.

So after the ducks were well acquainted and less poking at each other and poking around and at mud, it seemed the older drake is much more focused on these new hens. The younger one still actively pursues the mallard, but the mallard can fly and has been steering clear of him well. At one point the mallard and older drake were swimming and playing just the two of them, so the other drake came over, and the older one stayed between the two to protect her. The mallard is a little older than the oldest drake but I think because they were both ducklings at the same time they kind of have that bond. And outside of the water neither of them seem to have any aggression or sexual interests and they all flock around like ducks. Let me know if you still think I should consider rehoming. @sourland

Back
Top Bottom