Help! No chemistry in the coop

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wild Duck, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Be sure to post some pics we’d love to see them all and hoping for a good melting of newbies to your flock!!hows your little Mallard doing? Smoke um peace pipe!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Raenh and Wild Duck like this.
  2. Wild Duck

Wild Duck Chirping

Sep 5, 2018
    The mallard is still tired but certainly seems to have recovered and is very interested in her new friends. I'll post some pictures friday!

Cayuga momma, Miss Lydia and Raenh like this.
  3. learycow

learycow Crowing

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I would suggest separating them. They will continue to pick on the mallard and it will only get worse as we get closer to breeding season here in New England

sourland, Wild Duck and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. Wild Duck

Wild Duck Chirping

Sep 5, 2018
    @learycow even now with the additional hens? I was hoping to have all my birds free ranging together by the end of the weekend. I don't mind housing them separately at night but I would hate to keep them in the run daily. Thanks!

5. learycow

learycow Crowing

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    If they are still singling her out, then yes. Otherwise you risk injury

sourland, Miss Lydia and Wild Duck like this.
  6. Wild Duck

Wild Duck Chirping

Sep 5, 2018
    Looks like I got my work cut out for me this weekend and my peace of mind at risk- nothing new. Thanks for the help!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  7. Wild Duck

Wild Duck Chirping

Sep 5, 2018
    All went soo smooth with the ducks today. My biggest issue was the rain! So after soaking my clothes and getting a fill of wonder/enjoyment seeing my birds all getting along, I changed into dry clothes, built a little hobo shack with a tarp and was able to enjoy my pipe and book while the ducks enjoyed the rain and mud. It was awesome.

Attached Files:

Texag87 likes this.
  8. Wild Duck

Wild Duck Chirping

Sep 5, 2018
    So the photo of the 3 birds are the adult hens I picked up Tuesday night. They’re 2 golden 300s and the third I was told is a buff orpington, I’m not sure if that’s true. Any insight is always greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Understand that your two large drakes are fully capable of injuring or if they have swimming water drowning your mallard hen. I know they are your pets, but is there any chance of rehoming one of the drakes. 'Team breeding' once started is a very difficult behavior to correct. Good luck - they are supposed to be about relaxation and enjoyment, but horny drakes are out of control.

Wild Duck likes this.
  10. Wild Duck

Wild Duck Chirping

Sep 5, 2018
    So after the ducks were well acquainted and less poking at each other and poking around and at mud, it seemed the older drake is much more focused on these new hens. The younger one still actively pursues the mallard, but the mallard can fly and has been steering clear of him well. At one point the mallard and older drake were swimming and playing just the two of them, so the other drake came over, and the older one stayed between the two to protect her. The mallard is a little older than the oldest drake but I think because they were both ducklings at the same time they kind of have that bond. And outside of the water neither of them seem to have any aggression or sexual interests and they all flock around like ducks. Let me know if you still think I should consider rehoming. @sourland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: