Help! No clue how to candle

Pit Bull Farm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
So I have been reading posts and looking at pictures of eggs being candled but I think I still have no clue what to look for.
I have Guinea and Chicken eggs I am trying to hatch. Can you look at the pictures and tell me what I am looking at? Thanks

Guinea eggs they are about on day 16
vzh92w.jpg

5yhqj5.jpg

213pyyv.jpg

2dm73ug.jpg

25tcdj9.jpg

izqefr.jpg

I am thinking these Guinea eggs are not fertilized or do not have anything in them

These are the chicken eggs and I think they look like they have chicks in them.

140ekyh.jpg

2dkgwev.jpg

Thanks for the help, I have a lot to learn!

Yeah, sorry, but your guinea eggs are clear. (no keet)
The chicken eggs, however look like you've got chicks!
I think I can even see a little veining in the bottom pic.

yep. Clear guinea eggs but you have chicks. I use a flashlight. LOL
The eggs that don't have smooth shells are harder to candle.
Keep doing it (hatch after hatch) and you will be able to see the tiny black dot that tells you a chick is starting!

As long as you don't let the eggs sit until they are rotten you can crack them open and see what is inside. Fertilized egg yolks have a little white ring on them. (Once you learn you have to not think about it when you use eggs on a day-to-day basis. ;0)

Try this link. Just remember that sometimes a shell that is rough will look like it has bacteria growth. My head hurts so I am not explaining too well.
he.gif

http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html[/url

Thanks guys! At least I have chicken eggs!
big_smile.png

I had a feeling that the gunieas might be too young I never thought of checking the eggs to see if they are fertile. I know when I crack open the chicken eggs I have seen the white spot and I will start checking the guniea eggs. Thank you for your help I will post pictures when they hatch!

ok one more newbie question, do I count from the time the hen when broody or from when they were layed? I am trying to figure out when they will hatch.

I took all the guniea eggs out and just left the chicken eggs. There are 5 eggs total with a little bantam egg in there.
Thanks

count from when the hen started setting, not from when the eggs were laid. She'll lay eggs until she thinks she has enough, and the eggs will "wait" until she's setting on them and keeping them warm all the time.

ps: You might want to make sure she doesn't have too many eggs in the nest. The ones on the edges won't get enough heat, and since the mama will move them around a lot as she sets, they'll take turns getting pushed out to the edge and getting cold. Not good for a good hatch!

Thanks! Yeah I took all the extra non fertile eggs out but I only did it today. I have two hens that decided to take over the guinea clutch and they laied a few of thier eggs in there.
I think we will have chicks in about a week. so
fl.gif
your fingers that they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom