Help -- NO Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ametauss, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I got 4 supposedly laying hens two weeks ago and I free range with an open barn for cover/laying....

I have 3 that refuse to come into the barn and roost in a stand of trees on some rotting logs and one comes in....

None are laying.... Any clues?? I also have several roosters of various ages due to the straight run thing... boy I hate that....

Thanks,
    Ann Marie

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    they are probaly laying their eggs in a secret stash somewhere around the yard...

I would keep them confined to the coop for a few days making sure there is enough light to keep the laying cycle normal ...this may also help with the problem of them not coming in to roost for the night

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    yep-- you should confine them. Or maybe they got stressed out when you moved them from their previous location. They will stop laying for a time.

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

yes definatly confine them to show where there home is. The reason for the no eggs is probably also due not realy knowing where there home is. They might be hiding eggs if they are laying.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. Either they are hiding them or just aren't laying. I agree too, confine them for awhile. When they go through changes such as a move and being intoduced to an already existing flock They may not lay for a month or more. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  6. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Thanks so much!! I'll try it and see if that works.

Ann Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by