Help no incubator!! Chicken found stepping on new borns

spear41670

Chirping
Oct 31, 2020
I found my broody hen was injuring the new borns and killed on she had him under its feet. What to do now i dont have an incubator to keep the newly hatched ones warm. Why did she do this though

If you have a small desk lamp with a 60 watt or a 25 watt appliance incandescent bulb, you can position the lamp above the chicks in a cardboard box brooder. That will keep it warm. You can also use a heating pad, the kind used on people's back side. This mean you will separate the chicks from the mother.

P1010039.JPG

Okay ill try that. I think im gonna rush to buy a heat lamp now. Could you plz tell me how heat lamps work and how should i keep it near the chicks
It's quite straight forward.
If it doesnt come with a bulb holder/ clip you need one.
Screw the bulb in the holder. Plug it in.
Clip the bulb holder onto the side of the box.
Get thermometer and make sure its around 30°C (I don't know farenhite (F) temp)

I found my broody hen was injuring the new borns and killed on she had him under its feet. What to do now i dont have an incubator to keep the newly hatched ones warm. Why did she do this though
You have started several threads now. You really only need one. It helps people answer you faster. I'm going to say the same thing I said before, because the history of this hatch is important.

I think you stressed the hen out messing with the eggs during the hatch. So far, you have poked holes in the shells, moved the hen to take pictures of wet, almost out of the shell chicks, and then blamed the hen for stepping on the chicks and called her a bad mother when you are the one not letting her do what she needs to do. Now you have removed them with no heat source. Mom needs to be left alone during the hatch, not shuffled around while you interfere.

You have started several threads now. You really only need one. It helps people answer you faster. I'm going to say the same thing I said before, because the history of this hatch is important.

I think you stressed the hen out messing with the eggs during the hatch. So far, you have poked holes in the shells, moved the hen to take pictures of wet, almost out of the shell chicks, and then blamed the hen for stepping on the chicks and called her a bad mother when you are the one not letting her do what she needs to do. Now you have removed them with no heat source. Mom needs to be left alone during the hatch, not shuffled around while you interfere.
No I didn’t interfere until i saw one dead. Then i kept an eye on them. I got a heat lamp as soon as could. I separated them from the mother i think it was better for them. And again I didn’t interfere until i saw one dead and thought he had problems hatching. I was wrong he was stepped on. Again this was before i did anything . Then i poked the holes which i shouldn’t have I understand but i had to keep an eye for them

Back
Top Bottom