Help! Not sure what is going on. Experience/ advice needed.

Hen chick

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2023
Hi guys! I have a rooster looking a little off. Hoping you can point me in a direction here.

He is about 3 years old and weighs about 8 to 9 lbs. I have a mixed flock ( tiny bantams and a couple of full to large birds) so the roos are separated from the hens due to size / safety issues.

I noticed my big roo was a little off Monday when he went in the coop on his own at bed time.

Yesterday his face (only!! waddles and comb are nice and red) was really, really pale... last night his face was a little puffy and he was breathing a little heavy... and I have not heard him Crowing the last few days.

He is eating and drinking and still up, around, and moving. Just listless and a little off...

I am treating a Hen in the other coop for gleet. So everyone is getting a little extra herb / healthy oil infused yogurt. (Raw honey, coconut oil, Oregano, garlic, etc. My gleet girl is looking better!)

Am I being paranoid or should I start thinking medication in some capacity. I am a little over cautious with this guy - I almost lost him a couple of years ago to a cold - and I don't want to miss anything. He is such a good boy.

(Talked to the farm vet - she doesn't do chickens. The exotic vet just guesses unless I want to do tons of lab work... )

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi there, what's your birds diet?
any mucus or wheezing? Any new birds?
How does his crop feel and poops look? Have they ever been wormed?
Please do not give your birds garlic, it's toxic for them. And unless the herbs are actually the concentrated natropathic grade oils, they aren't going to do anything either.

Hi there, what's your birds diet?
any mucus or wheezing? Any new birds?
How does his crop feel and poops look? Have they ever been wormed?
Please do not give your birds garlic, it's toxic for them. And unless the herbs are actually the concentrated natropathic grade oils, they aren't going to do anything either.
Hi! Thank you for your help.

I feed Carolina Pride Gamebird food, and dried meal worms for extra protien and treats.

No mucus.
No wheezing.
No new birds.
Crops feel fine.

Droppings look normal - found one with a little green, but have seen that color before when everyone was healthy so was not alarmed.

Have not seen any worms, but purchased fenbendazole today to deworm. While reading it advised not to give to sick birds - so wanted to post before I worked. Should I go ahead and get that on board?

Thank you for your input on the garlic and herbs. I have always used these things in the past - but will definitely rethink going forward. I really want to do what ever is best for my birds.

(I was out of town Friday - Monday and my husband did not give the yogurt mixture, so I am pretty confident it is not the root of the issue with my big boy.)

Thanks again you for your time and help! I sincerely appreciate it.

Hi! Thank you for your help.

I feed Carolina Pride Gamebird food, and dried meal worms for extra protien and treats.

No mucus.
No wheezing.
No new birds.
Crops feel fine.

Droppings look normal - found one with a little green, but have seen that color before when everyone was healthy so was not alarmed.

Have not seen any worms, but purchased fenbendazole today to deworm. While reading it advised not to give to sick birds - so wanted to post before I worked. Should I go ahead and get that on board?

Thank you for your input on the garlic and herbs. I have always used these things in the past - but will definitely rethink going forward. I really want to do what ever is best for my birds.

(I was out of town Friday - Monday and my husband did not give the yogurt mixture, so I am pretty confident it is not the root of the issue with my big boy.)

Thanks again you for your time and help! I sincerely appreciate it.
You're welcome.
What protein is the gamebird? If it's 14% maintenance, you'll want to switch to something with higher protein, if is 18%-20% that's about as high in protein as you want. Cut back on the mealworms if they get then everyday, they're actually mostly fat. If not, don't worry about it.
I'd try a vitamin boost first, nutridrench, kickin chicken etc. He could be soft molting, which makes birds feel lousy.

You're welcome.
What protein is the gamebird? If it's 14% maintenance, you'll want to switch to something with higher protein, if is 18%-20% that's about as high in protein as you want. Cut back on the mealworms if they get then everyday, they're actually mostly fat. If not, don't worry about it.
I'd try a vitamin boost first, nutridrench, kickin chicken etc. He could be soft molting, which makes birds feel lousy.
It says it is 17% crude protien. I will find a higher protien food, and give this as a scratch type treat.

I will cut back on their meal worms...
and pick up the vitamins you suggested.

He is in the tail end of molting!! Maybe that is what it is...He had a rough molt this year and looked really gappy for a bit. He is looking better - but still has a little ways to go to get back to his handsome self. Fingers crossed that is all that's wrong.

Thank you so much nuthatched! I really appreciate you.

You're welcome.
How do I know if my roo is soft moulting? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom