Help! Not sure what's going on with my duckling.

HannahVaz

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2021
I've got a month old Pekin duck. (Her name is Agnes) She was hatched in an incubator and then moved to a brooder with about 40 other ducklings. For the first couple weeks after she hatched, she was doing really well. Then, over the course of a few days, I'd find her laying on her back, kicking her legs around, and her neck and legs were stiff. I separated her, bathed her, and basically made her comfortable until her, assumed, death. The next day however, she appeared to be doing a little better so I started doing some research on what could be wrong. Based on the symptoms I could tell, I came to the conclusion that she may have a niacin deficiency. I started feeding her niacin rich foods that I had around, like peas and tuna while alternating with chick grower and she started doing much better. I recently switched her to duck feed, still alternating with tuna/peas. It's been two weeks now and she appears to be failing again. She seems lightweight and I keep finding her on her back again. She's also started constantly opening and closing her mouth. There's no raspy breathing and she's not panting like she's hot. Does anyone know what could be the issue?

Oh no! boosting this so some can find and help your poor babe! pictures could help!
Thank you so much!!! I tried to add a video of what she's been doing lately but I couldn't get it to upload. Here's a couple pictures of her right now.
20210405_005551.jpg
20210405_005602.jpg

I've got a month old Pekin duck. (Her name is Agnes) She was hatched in an incubator and then moved to a brooder with about 40 other ducklings. For the first couple weeks after she hatched, she was doing really well. Then, over the course of a few days, I'd find her laying on her back, kicking her legs around, and her neck and legs were stiff. I separated her, bathed her, and basically made her comfortable until her, assumed, death. The next day however, she appeared to be doing a little better so I started doing some research on what could be wrong. Based on the symptoms I could tell, I came to the conclusion that she may have a niacin deficiency. I started feeding her niacin rich foods that I had around, like peas and tuna while alternating with chick grower and she started doing much better. I recently switched her to duck feed, still alternating with tuna/peas. It's been two weeks now and she appears to be failing again. She seems lightweight and I keep finding her on her back again. She's also started constantly opening and closing her mouth. There's no raspy breathing and she's not panting like she's hot. Does anyone know what could be the issue?
Update on Agnes. I was too late and she didn't make it through the night. 😔😭

Back
Top Bottom