Help! OB Healthy Hen Has a Tear At The Back of Her Comb

For The Love of Peeps

Songster
8 Years
May 28, 2011
Kuna
Hi All,

I'm Not Sure How She Tore Her Comb. It's About 1/3 inch tear at the back ot it, right at her scalp. It Almost Looks Like She Got Her Head Stuck in Wire or Something, and Pulled Her Head Back.

I Don't Seem To Have Any Predators Around. The Rest of The Flock Are Fine. I Put Some Triple Antibiotic Ointment on It, The Best I Could. She Was Just Resting in The Coop, This Morning, But Now She Is Out Free Ranging. Should I Do Anything Else?

Thank You in Adavnce.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing. I'm assuming she's not bleeding anymore if she ever was. Put the ointment on everyday for a while - until it looks like it's mostly healed up!

Quote:
X2 She should heal fine.
hugs.gif

You're doing the right thing, just keep up with the ointment and she should be fine!
thumbsup.gif
Chickens are hardy little birds--it's amazing what they can overcome.

I had a hen do a similar thing. I suspect the metal feeder, but I never knew for certain. Now part of her crown is completely perpendicular to the rest, forming an "L". There was a lot of blood, but she healed in mere days. The new crown rather suits her personality.
big_smile.png

Thanks Everyone. It is bleeding more tonight, but she is still eating and running around.
smile.png
Her's will probably end up "a little forward"! I still don't know what happened! If she worsens I will ask for more advice. Thanks Again.

Back
Top Bottom