Help on chicken treats

I give my chickens dried meal worms that you can get at your feed store. They also like black oil sunflower seeds. Sometimes while digging in the garden I find big fat juicy grubs, they love those. Sometimes your grocery store gets rid of fruits and veggies and the chickens always love those. Have fun!

I make "chicken salad" served on a baking sheet. Lettuce thinned from the garden, mealy worms and seedless grapes cut in half are my girls' favorite. Watermelon on hot days. Also, plain yogurt with strawberries is a big hit! I also use treats to entice the hens into their coop. I just call out "treat, treat" and they come running. Mine eat from my hand and I've trained them to wait until it's their turn to take the treat. Yes, they are very spoiled, but they give me so much joy in return. I'd have them even if they didn't produce lovely fresh eggs.

My girls love fresh cut grass, carrot top greens, beet greens and fresh meal worms from the worm bin oh and their favorite shredded cheese!

Hello, I know my girls like cooked steel cut oats mixed with a little plain yogurt. They just go all chicken TV on me.... I can watch them for hours. Oh, also try a slice of watermelon in their run.... good luck

My chickens love yogurt! And most anything from the garden. Blueberries are a big favorite. Just like people, all things in moderation!

The only thing I've found that my girls don't like is sprouted wheatgrass seeds - they turn their nose up. Other than that just about anything. Tomatoes, tomato leaves, cantaloup, watermelon, live and dried mealworms (especially the live ones), grapes, lettuce, fresh cut grass, any veggie. They are huge eaters - more than I realized. I plan some day when I can remember to get them some live crickets and watch the fun..

Rice Krispies
Cucumber - diced - ours almost fight over it !
Boiled rice cooked / flavoured with garlic - fresh or 'lazy garlic'
Black sunflower seeds
Dried Mealworms
Fresh fruit - diced apple, plums, cherries (minus stones), banana (in moderation).
Porridge
Yogurt - mixed with some 'layers pellets or mash'
Melon - and if anything left on your melon skin ours completely strip all traces !
All veg' - boiled on its own or then mixed in with plain rice.
Noodles - if only for the comedy value watching them eat long trailing noodles and pinching each others !
Tomatoes.
Wild Birdseed

All the seeds, mealworms, rice krispies etc go in a green treats tin which as soon as they see they're up on tip-toes to try and reach but will follow me anywhere until handfuls are thrown - keeps them occupied for ages scrabbling and searching.............great for getting them back into their run !
Basically.....trial and error, they are like all pets and even humans, some things they like, some they just walk away from ;-)
D.gif

I give my chickens dried meal worms that you can get at your feed store. They also like black oil sunflower seeds. Sometimes while digging in the garden I find big fat juicy grubs, they love those. Sometimes your grocery store gets rid of fruits and veggies and the chickens always love those. Have fun!

dried meals worms.. it's pretty expensive

i think i'll just switch to organic scratch instead of treats..

$8 for a 2lb bag (treat) vs $28 for a 50lb bag (organic scratch)

i would be easier on my wallet..

You can buy live mealworms by the tens of thousands on pet websites that drops the price dramatically and then you can raise your own, they're pretty easy.

Mealworms are high in essential amino acids, scratch is not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom