Help on handling my chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by billyp28, Sep 30, 2014.

1. billyp28

billyp28 New Egg

Sep 30, 2014
    Somerset
    I just got my self 5 silkys there 16 weeks old I was just wording if any one had any tips for me on getting them used to me and handling them

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC!

First gather up all the patience you have :) Try sitting quietly with them and give them some yummy snacks. After a while start softly talking to them. When you think they're used to your voice you can try feeding them from your hand. It may take a few attempts at several minutes at a crack so don't give up hope. Eventually you should be able to touch them and one day hold them.

Sometimes at dusk I sneak into the coop and hold my more skittish chickens. I try to hold them until I feel them relax a while and then I give them a treat and I set them back on the roost.

With a little time and food you'll get the relationship to where you're comfortable. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. billyp28

billyp28 New Egg

Sep 30, 2014
    Somerset
    Thanks this sounds like a good idea I just put mine away so will start thing the things you said tomorrow night thanks again

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I hope it helps. And don't be surprised if some turn out to just naturally be more friendly than the others. I have a few that will jump in my lap or on my should willingly, a few that will eat from my hand and hang around with me, and a few that will walk in circles around me but are very cautious.

Goodnight and good luck (again) [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Most chickens do not like to be picked up or held. They don't like their feet leaving the ground. I pick my birds up daily and still after many years, they still don't care for it. They tolerate it, but really don't like it. But to tame up your birds, the best thing you can do is go sit with them on the floor. Bring some goodies and hand feed them, let them climb on your legs and eventually they may even lap sit. Talk quietly to them and move slowly around them. Keep the noise in and around the coop down and they will tame up over time.

Good luck with your Silkies. Fun breed to keep! Welcome to our flock!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The way to a chickens heart is through treats. If you carry some - put them in a tin can or something so when you rattle it - everyone hears it. In time they learn that sound = treats and before long they will mob you.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good suggestions above. Pullets often become a lot tamer when they start laying eggs, even if they are pretty spooky before.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

You've received some good advice already.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

You've already received some good advice. Good luck!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by