Help on handling my chicken

billyp28

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 30, 2014
Somerset
I just got my self 5 silkys there 16 weeks old I was just wording if any one had any tips for me on getting them used to me and handling them

Welcome to BYC!

First gather up all the patience you have :) Try sitting quietly with them and give them some yummy snacks. After a while start softly talking to them. When you think they're used to your voice you can try feeding them from your hand. It may take a few attempts at several minutes at a crack so don't give up hope. Eventually you should be able to touch them and one day hold them.

Sometimes at dusk I sneak into the coop and hold my more skittish chickens. I try to hold them until I feel them relax a while and then I give them a treat and I set them back on the roost.

With a little time and food you'll get the relationship to where you're comfortable. Good luck!

Thanks this sounds like a good idea I just put mine away so will start thing the things you said tomorrow night thanks again

I hope it helps. And don't be surprised if some turn out to just naturally be more friendly than the others. I have a few that will jump in my lap or on my should willingly, a few that will eat from my hand and hang around with me, and a few that will walk in circles around me but are very cautious.

Goodnight and good luck (again)
smile.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Most chickens do not like to be picked up or held. They don't like their feet leaving the ground. I pick my birds up daily and still after many years, they still don't care for it. They tolerate it, but really don't like it. But to tame up your birds, the best thing you can do is go sit with them on the floor. Bring some goodies and hand feed them, let them climb on your legs and eventually they may even lap sit. Talk quietly to them and move slowly around them. Keep the noise in and around the coop down and they will tame up over time.

Good luck with your Silkies. Fun breed to keep! Welcome to our flock!

The way to a chickens heart is through treats. If you carry some - put them in a tin can or something so when you rattle it - everyone hears it. In time they learn that sound = treats and before long they will mob you.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good suggestions above. Pullets often become a lot tamer when they start laying eggs, even if they are pretty spooky before.

Back
Top Bottom