help one chick about 6 weeks old getting attacked

zoepilke

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2021
one of our chicks is getting constantly attacked. we have four 6 week old chicks that our broody hen hatched (they are not her eggs we don’t have any roosters i’m not sure that matters though). i’m pretty sure two are roosters and the other two are hens based off colors and behavior. one of the ones i think is a girl is getting attacked constantly and all around her eyes is blood and cuts. it is mainly one chick who we believe is a rooster that will not stop attacking her if she gets too close. i’ve read to separate the aggressor chick but they attack the other chicks just not as aggressively no blood or anything. i know they are trying to establish dominance but i’m worried they will kill the chick. not only that but the mother will sometimes attack her too along with the other chicks just not as much as the others i’m not sure what to do!! also what should we do to treat the cuts

Attachments

• E6463AB3-56A2-4514-9C83-30076F72CC46.jpeg
    E6463AB3-56A2-4514-9C83-30076F72CC46.jpeg
    468 KB · Views: 40
one of our chicks is getting constantly attacked. we have four 6 week old chicks that our broody hen hatched (they are not her eggs we don’t have any roosters i’m not sure that matters though). i’m pretty sure two are roosters and the other two are hens based off colors and behavior. one of the ones i think is a girl is getting attacked constantly and all around her eyes is blood and cuts. it is mainly one chick who we believe is a rooster that will not stop attacking her if she gets too close. i’ve read to separate the aggressor chick but they attack the other chicks just not as aggressively no blood or anything. i know they are trying to establish dominance but i’m worried they will kill the chick. not only that but the mother will sometimes attack her too along with the other chicks just not as much as the others i’m not sure what to do!! also what should we do to treat the cuts
Take her inside and treat the wounds. Chickens will attack relentlessly when they see blood or an open wound. She likely got injured by the first aggressive chick and the others started attacking because she was injured.

She needs to heal and recover from being relentlessly attacked or she will die.

Clean her wounds with betadine, chlorhexidine, or vetericyn. You can apply Neosporin (no pain killer!) on the outer wounds. Don't get it in her eyes.

@sourland
@Eggcessive

Take her inside and treat the wounds. Chickens will attack relentlessly when they see blood or an open wound. She likely got injured by the first aggressive chick and the others started attacking because she was injured.

She needs to heal and recover from being relentlessly attacked or she will die.

Clean her wounds with betadine, chlorhexidine, or vetericyn. You can apply Neosporin (no pain killer!) on the outer wounds. Don't get it in her eyes.

@sourland
@Eggcessive
thank you so much! we will be separating the aggressive chick for a bit and getting the vetericyn for her wounds and keeping an eye on her

Where are you located in the world?
What breed are these supposed to be?
Photos of the chicks (whole body shots) would be helpful.

How much space are they in?

For the minor cuts/bruises on the face, rinse with saline, then apply triple antibiotic ointment or vaseline.

we are in the southern part of the u.s. so it is a bit hot here. as for the chicks we know who we bought the eggs from the mother hen was an issa brown but not sure what breed to rooster was. and for space they have about .5 an acre i would say but we only have 8 chickens and of the 8, 4 are chicks. also no rooster since we can’t have them in our area. i will attach pictures of the chicks. the one above the sink is the one gettinf attacked and then white one with lots of color is the aggressive one(shown in the picture with the other brown chick) and then you can see the other two chicks who don’t seem to have a problem.

and we treated the wounds with some different medinces from tractor supply

Attachments

• 205D10B2-E6F7-4FC6-BDE4-903DC761D61C.jpeg
    205D10B2-E6F7-4FC6-BDE4-903DC761D61C.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 13
  • A52E83CD-F605-4F6D-9F23-FD3A3349C5D6.jpeg
    A52E83CD-F605-4F6D-9F23-FD3A3349C5D6.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 21C58AD2-E47D-4B6E-9088-A7800B0EAB13.jpeg
    21C58AD2-E47D-4B6E-9088-A7800B0EAB13.jpeg
    825.3 KB · Views: 12
The one at the sink and the one at the ramp both look like cockerels to me.
Not sure about the middle one.

It's not uncommon for cockerels to squabble, but if it gets out of hand they can injure each other.
Since you can't have roosters, then it may be time to start finding them homes.

The one at the sink and the one at the ramp both look like cockerels to me.
Not sure about the middle one.

It's not uncommon for cockerels to squabble, but if it gets out of hand they can injure each other.
Since you can't have roosters, then it may be time to start finding them homes.
yes thank you! we will need to start looking especially in the next few weeks

Back
Top Bottom