Help one of my chicks can't keep her balance

Kearaaaa23

Chirping
May 18, 2023
Hey everyone, I'm struggling so bad right now. I have a 5 week old chick that can't keep her balance and has one wing sticking out when she tries to stand she was pectectly fine until today morning where I found her upside down but alive.. My family keep feeding them potato chips and raw rice even when I ask them not to and I think thats the reason she's like this today morning. Please help I can't let her die 😔

What is your location in the world? Do you have your chicks on a balanced chick starter grower feed? Can you get any vitamins especially b complex vitamins that contain riboflavin (B 2?) She could have some daily. Any chick vitamins with riboflavin would do as well. You crush the tablet and put it in a bit of water and give it 2 drops throughout the day.

Is she your only chick or are there more? Do you have her under a heat source? Make sure that she is taking water and food. A little sugar in a cup of water might give her a boost. The family needs to know that human foods and salt can be very bad for chicks, and could kill her.

A video would help if you can do that.

Maybe you can get something like mealworms so that your family can give them a treat that won't harm them.

Losing balance can be caused by a couple of different things, but maybe you can start by putting in a second waterer with a vitamin/electrolyte supplement, something like this.

1688297242821.png

A video would help if you can do that.

Maybe you can get something like mealworms so that your family can give them a treat that won't harm them.

Losing balance can be caused by a couple of different things, but maybe you can start by putting in a second waterer with a vitamin/electrolyte supplement, something like this.

View attachment 3563125
Hello,just found out the chips weren't the problem but that she got trampled by one of the older ones in the coop at night. We gave her electrolyte water and egg yolk with kelp,wheat grass,vitamin D and C supplements along with a few mealworms, she seems significantly stronger and can walk and crawl on her own, we're going to give her a warm towel and massage her neck and wings since that seems to be the problem, we also put her brother along with her and she's way more active with him round.
Do you have any idea on how long she'll take to recover fully??

So glad that she is doing better. She is too young to be with older ones if they are much larger. It is best to keep them separated until they are of the same size. But I do allow my broody raised chicks to be with the whole flock as long as their broody hen is protecting them.

So glad that she is doing better. She is too young to be with older ones if they are much larger. It is best to keep them separated until they are of the same size. But I do allow my broody raised chicks to be with the whole flock as long as their broody hen is protecting them.
They were fine all along but yes their size difference is quite significant, she can walk and do stuff but dosent move much but she can. Any idea on how long she'll take to recover?

What is your location in the world? Do you have your chicks on a balanced chick starter grower feed? Can you get any vitamins especially b complex vitamins that contain riboflavin (B 2?) She could have some daily. Any chick vitamins with riboflavin would do as well. You crush the tablet and put it in a bit of water and give it 2 drops throughout the day.

Is she your only chick or are there more? Do you have her under a heat source? Make sure that she is taking water and food. A little sugar in a cup of water might give her a boost. The family needs to know that human foods and salt can be very bad for chicks, and could kill her.
I'm in the UK and she is om chick grower feed and has treats every now and then, unfortunately I don't have anything involving riboflavin and I have another chick of the same age with her and he seems to be helping her a bit, we're giving her egg yolks mixed with kelp,iron,vitamin C and D supplements and electrolyte water. Found out the cause wasn't the chips but that she got trampled by the older chickens.She's currently sleeping but has been doing quite well compared to in the morning where she could barely move or support herself. She's pretty responsive when I shake her mealworm treat box and walks around, she's eating but seems and looks like she's thirsty but then refuses water? Hopefully that fixes up. We cleaned her entire box and put a lot of things to keep her warm. Shes arpund 6-7 weeks old so she can regulate her temperature herself but so far she's doing good.. HOPEFULLY she recovers well. Poor baby :(

Back
Top Bottom