HELP, one of my Cornish Rock hens died, one left...

Robin'sBrood

Crowing
12 Years
May 8, 2008
North Carolina
What should I do with her, she is all alone in a big run. (No, I won't eat her.) Can a big, slow meaty live with 14 layers... especially since there are 2 roos in with the layers too?

Read post #113 here for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd put her in with the other birds (after a suitable introduction time). Even if she's the low man on the pecking order it's better than being all alone for a flock animal like chickens.

Sorry about your other Cornish Rock.
sad.png

That was my initial thought, but I'm worried about her being picked on by the other birds, especially the two amorous boys. Then again, she squats anytime I get near her so she might enjoy being in there with them...
idunno.gif

Anyone else care to offer an opinion?

Solution... I put the other CR in the chicken tractor inside the run with the other chickens. She's protected from them but she's surrounded by them at the same time.
thumbsup.gif

In a week try letting her in there without the tractor. A week with but protected from was the key to a smooth transition into my flock for a bantam that was taken out while hatching eggs. I tried it cold turkey and they beat the tar out of her. Don't think she took it laying down she was letting them have it but 12 against one is a little much. A week later after being in a pen right beside them and in a enclosed pen in the coop at night when I reintroduced her there was one little skirmish (with my youngest hen a drop off, I get a couple a year from people who bought that cute chick at the hardware store) and that was it.

I was thinking about trying that, fasbendera. Funny, my cockerel, who was a brooder mate of hers, seems to have claimed her as his gal. He stayed by the tractor, by her side, the entire time after I put her in there. He seemed very reluctant to even go inside the coop and roost this evening (I guess he eventually did.) He hasn't been around her for months.... he couldn't remember her, could he?

Back
Top Bottom