Help! Only one chick!

Thanks for the ideas posted. I have a banty hen and a turkey brooding right now. About a month ago I had a cute little fluffy chick hatch. I decided to let it with the hen to see what happened. Later that day the chick had disappeared, a small piece of fluff was all I found. I felt really bad. Today I found a cute fluffy chick under the turkey(she is sitting on chicken eggs). Not wanting to have a repeat of the last chick, I brought it inside, put it in my chick box with a light, food and water. Put a small stuffed animal in the corner with the light. And this chick practically screams nonstop until it( I think) falls over under the light from exaustion. I went out to the coop and collected some soft, fluffy turkey feathers and tried to create a hen for it to crawl under. That's not working all that well. Still coming out to the unheated end of the box screaming until it falls over. I'm going to find a mirror and see if that helps. I keep looking under both hens hoping someone else will hatch.

Thanks for the ideas posted. I have a banty hen and a turkey brooding right now. About a month ago I had a cute little fluffy chick hatch. I decided to let it with the hen to see what happened. Later that day the chick had disappeared, a small piece of fluff was all I found. I felt really bad. Today I found a cute fluffy chick under the turkey(she is sitting on chicken eggs). Not wanting to have a repeat of the last chick, I brought it inside, put it in my chick box with a light, food and water. Put a small stuffed animal in the corner with the light. And this chick practically screams nonstop until it( I think) falls over under the light from exaustion. I went out to the coop and collected some soft, fluffy turkey feathers and tried to create a hen for it to crawl under. That's not working all that well. Still coming out to the unheated end of the box screaming until it falls over. I'm going to find a mirror and see if that helps. I keep looking under both hens hoping someone else will hatch.

POOR LITTLE FUZZY....If you can do this, you might have to carry peep around with you till you get another hatch.. Easiest way to do that is to tie a string/belt around your waist and put fuzzy in your shirt next to your skin.....AHHHHH no more screaming......LOL

Poor little thing. The mirror has really helped my little fuzzie. He has a wash cloth, little stuffed monkey, a mirror and a feather duster in with him. He is pretty happy most of the time but when he starts yelling I will go and hold him for awhile and then he is fine again.

Well the surrogate wanted nothing to do with the baby and I felt so bad he tried his hardest to get under her and she just kept pecking him away. I have posted on several boards and craigslist that I am ISO baby chicks so hopefully something will turn up.

Well the surrogate wanted nothing to do with the baby and I felt so bad he tried his hardest to get under her and she just kept pecking him away. I have posted on several boards and craigslist that I am ISO baby chicks so hopefully something will turn up.

BUMMER! but it happens alot that a MAMA han won't take anothers chick.... Just think of that BEBE fuzzy like it was a human baby till you can find some buddies for it...Try to keep it with you as much as you can, really really helps....LOL

Update; my little fuzzy stayed unconsolable unless I was holding her sooooo, my son suggested putting her with the brooding banty. Hummmm, So around 10 pm I was out in the front yard scrubbing my extra large dog crate out and returning it to my bedroom. I brought Broody in, nest box (med dog carrier) and set it inside the large crate. I let her acclimate for a little bit then introduced the chick. It went like this; CHEEP CHEEP CHeep Cheep chee.......as she snuggled up to broody. Eventually ended up well entrenched under a wing. I think now I just have to make sure she comes out for food and water as Momma is still on her eggs. I think I'll try candling them tonight and see if they are still viable. I'm very bad at keeping dates straight, so I'm not sure how long she's been sitting on this batch.

Update; my little fuzzy stayed unconsolable unless I was holding her sooooo, my son suggested putting her with the brooding banty. Hummmm, So around 10 pm I was out in the front yard scrubbing my extra large dog crate out and returning it to my bedroom. I brought Broody in, nest box (med dog carrier) and set it inside the large crate. I let her acclimate for a little bit then introduced the chick. It went like this; CHEEP CHEEP CHeep Cheep chee.......as she snuggled up to broody. Eventually ended up well entrenched under a wing. I think now I just have to make sure she comes out for food and water as Momma is still on her eggs. I think I'll try candling them tonight and see if they are still viable. I'm very bad at keeping dates straight, so I'm not sure how long she's been sitting on this batch.

Good for you! So glad you broody took in the baby! My broody hen just looked at my fuzzy all confused and pecked him every time he tried to get under her wing.

I FOUND CHICKS!! I pick them up Monday. They are a Banty mix. So here is my next question what do you do with a Banty mix?

Back
Top Bottom