HELP! Our flock is dying!!

Caleb1534

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
Preface: We have been really busy with a building project recently.

During the week of May 20th, I noticed that one of our chickens was acting lethargic, not wanting to eat. So I gave her Nutri-Drench.
She died on the 20th. The same day I noticed that another of our chickens was acting sick the same way, she died the next day.
Then on Friday the 26th another one died.

I thought the plague was over... but then on Thursday the 1st another died, and now on the 3rd we found one that had probably died during the night and was eaten by predators.

WE NEED YOUR HELP!!!

At first, I thought that it was worms. But when I checked it had only been 3 months since we dewormed the chickens, plus when they would start acting sick their combs were still good and red (when we have had chickens with a heavy worm load before their combs have turned pale).

Please give me any insight that y'all have.

Thank you.

What do their poops look like? Was being lethargic their only symptom?
Have you checked for mites/lice? Could they have gotten in to poison or something else environmental?

I’m so sorry!!!

Last edited:
What do their poops look like? Was being lethargic their only symptom?
Have you checked for mites/lice? Could they have gotten in to poison or something no else environmental?

I’m so sorry!!!
Their poop looked yellow and watery like they weren't eating.
Being lethargic was the only symptom that I noticed, but I have been really bust recently.
On the first (or second) one when I buried her I took a quick look but saw no lice/mites.
They are in a pen so I don't see how they could get into something like that?

Thank you for your sympathy.

Preface: We have been really busy with a building project recently.

During the week of May 20th, I noticed that one of our chickens was acting lethargic, not wanting to eat. So I gave her Nutri-Drench.
She died on the 20th. The same day I noticed that another of our chickens was acting sick the same way, she died the next day.
Then on Friday the 26th another one died.

I thought the plague was over... but then on Thursday the 1st another died, and now on the 3rd we found one that had probably died during the night and was eaten by predators.

WE NEED YOUR HELP!!!

At first, I thought that it was worms. But when I checked it had only been 3 months since we dewormed the chickens, plus when they would start acting sick their combs were still good and red (when we have had chickens with a heavy worm load before their combs have turned pale).

Please give me any insight that y'all have.

Thank you.
I just buried the one that was eaten and it appears to have died at least a few days ago (there was no flesh left on the bones) but I still think that it dyed before it was eaten.

We have already buried them all. So I don't think that is an option?
No, I don’t think so either at this point. If another passes, you can keep it in the fridge for a bit before sending it out.

How is their weight? Is there any chance their feed was/is moldy?

Can you send a picture of your set up? Sometimes that helps people more experienced than me spot environmental things. Was this last chicken eaten by the other chickens (presumably after it died)?

I would check your feed and scratch grains. Mold is toxic to chickens and if the least bit of moisture from water or condensation gets into a feed bag or container, it can smell funny and develop blue green mold. Look around your chicken ranging area for any plants or toxins they could get into. Most state vets will perform a necropsy/autopsy on a freshly dead body, but just keep it cold, but not frozen. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom