HELP!! Peachick stuck to umbiblical cord

GrannieJ

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
I had to help one of my eggs hatch he externally pipped 36 hours ago and I had to make a pip whole and he did eventually get out but he is stuck to the sheel withe the cord and there is what appears to be some yolk and a lil blood in the bottom of the egg. He is out and quite fisty but on his side cause he is stuck to the sgg from the cord. Do I leave it and will it eventually come unattached or do I do something. I am just horrified to lose him!! Any help is much appreciated...thank you

Can you post a picture? There is often "stuff" left over after they hatch and it would help to see it. Leave him alone if still absorbing yolk. Hopefully he isn't bleeding too much, but even if he is they can survive quite a bit of blood loss.

It is hard to not 'help' a chick. Very often that helping makes matters worse. I had a similar problem lately. I was having chicks attached to the shell by a very dry and tough cord causing herniated navels. It was suggested for me to move the eggs into the hatcher at least three days before hatch and I have seen drastic improvements after taking this advice.

@KsKingBee , here is the chick in in question:
img_1259-jpg.1036744

Back
Top Bottom