Help! Peacock reacting after injection...

Just wondering if maybe I hit a nerve, and hopefully this is all temporary. And NO avian vets around here to help. And we've already lost two peafowl this week from their disease.
sad.png
sad.png

How AWFUL, I am so sorry you are going through this.
hugs.gif
Hopefully someone with more expertise will chime in soon, but in the meantime, supportive therapy is smart.

I went back to the UPA site and searched some more... apparently tissue damage/deterioration at the injection site is always a possibility, but again, sometimes there aren't any good choices
hit.gif

Here's hoping he gets better soon
fl.gif

There's also an emergencies section over on the chicken keeping portion of the BYC website... you might try posting over there just in case someone there has dealt with something like this before...

I'm not an expert but I can share my experiences giving shots. First let me tell you that I believe that the bird had a stroke. The vet I have been working with has a deep concern about stressing peafowl. I have had three birds die this year right after giving shots, two of them we did necropsies on. One the necropsy showed a large infection on the heart, the vet believed that the rapid heart beat and stress from being handled made the abscess burst. The other one was worm ridden and again the vet thought stress from the burden and being handled gave it cardiac arrest.

Wish I could be more helpful, but in 20 years with Peas, I've never given an injection. I (knock on wood) have never had any respiratory infections in my flock, so I've usually had good results treating orally. It sounds to me like it may just have been a case where the poor guy had a reaction because he was already weak and stressed due to the disease. Please don't blame yourself, sounds like you were doing everything you could to try to save them. Hopefully keeping him warm and hydrated will give him the chance to pull out of this.
fl.gif

I thought Tylan was supposed to be injected into the breast. I think you can pierce an air sack on the back.
I tend to agree with this as a possibility, Most folks on here give tylan down the throat to avoid things like this, even injecting into the breast can cause damage from what i read.
hugs.gif
praying it gets better soon

I'm not an expert but I can share my experiences giving shots. First let me tell you that I believe that the bird had a stroke. The vet I have been working with has a deep concern about stressing peafowl. I have had three birds die this year right after giving shots, two of them we did necropsies on. One the necropsy showed a large infection on the heart, the vet believed that the rapid heart beat and stress from being handled made the abscess burst. The other one was worm ridden and again the vet thought stress from the burden and being handled gave it cardiac arrest.
I agree this is another possibility.

I gave my peacocks injections last night, because they've been sick. This was their 3rd dose. Shortly after, one of my peacocks trembled around, like a seizure, and he's not acted right since. If he tries to stand up, he does a somersault ... His legs work fine as he lies down and goes in a circle. His neck is to one side or the other, but alert otherwise... We're giving him rooster booster orally with a syringe, as well as feeding him oatmeal with Nutri-Drench to make sure he's getting fluids and nutrition... Any ideas??? The rest of our peacocks are just fine...
How old are your Peas that are ill and how much tylan are you giving them?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom