Help: Pekin Duckling is staying on his back :idunno

gallusgallusgalore

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Seminary, MS
I went to my local feed store to buy a.....few.....(15 it turned out to be lol) bitties and they also had pekin ducklings. I wasn't planning on getting any but there was one duckling in a cage by itself and it looked like one leg wasn't working. The owner said that if I wanted him I could have him. I'm a softy for helpless animal so I took him home. He had limited mobility in one leg and would scoot, spin and flip on his back. He acted like he was out of balance. Nothing felt broken or out of place. This morning he is moving both legs pretty good but he is still spinning and rolling around. Any suggestions? He looks a little tired but he moves like a break dancer all the time. Im sure he's exhausted. Thanks

He might have just hatched with a deformity, but might be needing more niacin. Make sure you aren't just feeding him chick starter. Also, sprinkle some brewer's yeast on his food. Hope it gets better!

I've had two turkey polts hatch not seeming to know which side is up. I have also been told this works on chicks with Spraddle Leg. I took a small, wide bottomed drinking cup (base about 2 1/2-3" across, lined the bottom with a peice of paper towel and popped them in there for several hours. It keeps them UP, but doesn't allow them to flip over. It saved both poults, maybe it will help your little guy. At his age, you'll need to take him out for food & water several times a day. Just support him while he eats & drinks. Good luck
smile.png

Sounds to me very much like it could be behaviour due to vitamin deficiency- especially since you say his legs seem to be better. I had one last year continually flipping over onto its back and holding its head backwards. My vet suggested some very high doses of Vit B and she certainly improved with the treatment over a period of two weeks- However being so young she has permanent developemental problems and is still a little odd. But a lovely little girl- and so much character.

Back
Top Bottom