Help! Pip on estimated day 16?!

stormgirl82

Songster
Mar 2, 2020
Arkansas, USA
We had to move 3 eggs into an incubator that our broody had been sitting on. They’re at different stages. We can only estimate the time the eggs have been incubated based on candling. Two days ago we candled all of the eggs. One egg looked to be around day 18, we locked it down yesterday and haven’t turned it. This morning I turned what I thought was an egg that’s around day 16 and it has a pip. The pip is in the right place from what I can tell, and I hear loud peeping. But I turned the egg...the pip was on the bottom. ..😅 Is it possible the peep is coming from my blue egg that’s in lockdown though it isn’t pipped? It sounds like it’s my white day 16 egg though! Is it possible I was just way wrong? I’m kinda freaking out now lol. I still have one egg to turn but is it okay to stop turning it for 24 hours during the actual hatching?

I’ve never incubated eggs so I apologize for so many posts and questions lately. Attached is a pic of the egg.
I may also mention that this egg is the one that had a hairline crack in it and I used nail polish to fix.

Attachments

• E4210C15-92B5-4198-AF8D-5E30CC728C05.jpeg
    E4210C15-92B5-4198-AF8D-5E30CC728C05.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 18
In going back and looking a little closer at the picture, I think the pip is not in the right place... It's more in the middle of the egg toward the bottom. Maybe I'm overthinking everything.. Or just a concerned first time chick-mommy. 😥 I do know that when candling the egg a couple days ago, the air sac seemed really big and downward.. Maybe it reaches that far on that side?

It's maybe a bit low but I wouldn't be concerned. Sometimes the chicks will repip in the correct spot. Others just run with the first pip and zip just fine. A much smaller percentage need assistance (malposition) but don't jump to that conclusion yet. Reading the assisted hatching thread would be good. Just in case. It probably won't need any help at all and interfering early will cause great harm to the chick.

Something to consider with a misplaced pip is it may not have been intended to be an external pip. Which mean you add an extra 24 hour onto the hatch window.

It's maybe a bit low but I wouldn't be concerned. Sometimes the chicks will repip in the correct spot. Others just run with the first pip and zip just fine. A much smaller percentage need assistance (malposition) but don't jump to that conclusion yet. Reading the assisted hatching thread would be good. Just in case. It probably won't need any help at all and interfering early will cause great harm to the chick.

Something to consider with a misplaced pip is it may not have been intended to be an external pip. Which mean you add an extra 24 hour onto the hatch window.

That's great to know! I didn't expect this one to be hatching just yet to be honest. It only looked to be around day 14-16 days according to how it looked when I candled a couple days ago. I had an expected to lock it down today actually. I hope I didn't disorientate the poor baby by turning it when it was closer than I thought. :( I'm at work today so I can't even check on it for a few hours.

I’m finally home to check and the eggs rocking off and on still. There are more cracks but no actual hole. Can it get air like that?

Attachments

• F9FCCE52-524D-472C-96AA-A493BEBC9818.jpeg
    F9FCCE52-524D-472C-96AA-A493BEBC9818.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 8
I’m finally home to check and the eggs rocking off and on still. There are more cracks but no actual hole. Can it get air like that?
I've heard that if they pip with enough force to crack the egg that it will break the membrane. I've found that to be true but would not want to guarantee you that it's a "yes". If you're nervous you can do a safety hole or simply do a quick check under the pip/broken shell. I'm guessing you can see what's up upon closer inspection. It's not advised to mess with hatching eggs but no harm will be done to an otherwise healthy developed chick from having it out of the incubator for a few seconds. There is a lot that may or may not be going on with this egg. Your call.

Back
Top Bottom