Help!! Pipping egg turning black!

SupermarketDuck

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2021
This is my first time hatching and we just have the one duck egg. I woke up this morning on day 30 pleased to hear chirping and tapping, finally! So he’s internally pipped at last. But the egg is black and stained! The one we had look like this before was rotten and oozing so we had to throw it away but I really want this little guy to be okay. When candled the dark spot looks very red, like when you candle a 10 day egg. Has he broken a blood vessel maybe? Or it could be water stained from the condensation?
Any help greatly appreciated!! Temp is 37.9 degrees C and humidity is in the 60s if that helps.
CD520B8F-5CE2-4745-9904-77230AE5674D.jpeg

A641B964-12C3-4199-B274-FB83131A50B1.jpeg

Duck egg shells can look strange. Is it a breed of duck that could be black/dark? My black Muscovy looked like that when they were starting to hatch. As long as you can hear the duckling and it is moving I wouldn't be too concerned (though I know that's difficult at this stage).

@MGG have you seen this before?

It’s a Braddock White egg from a Supermarket but I think they’re Aylesbury ducks. I have no idea why it’s dark but it looks a lot like blood.
BUT he’s just pipped himself an external hole so it’s looking good!

If he's alive and moving there's not a lot you can do except for watch and hope for the best.

Wow it must be amazing fpr supermarket eggs to hatch! I've always wanted to hatch shop eggs (my supermarket sells eggs that could be fertile)
Yeah my kids saw it in a newspaper and we thought we’d try! It’s nice to think we’ve saved him from a potential life inside a cake! I hope he makes it, we’re very attached.

he’s pipped a hole and has his beak hanging out but he’s very still now. I know this is time for him to rest before unzipping but he’s silent and not moving at all. Is this normal? I don’t want to open the incubator at all now the egg is open

He still hasn’t moved at all since pipping. I’ve rocked the incubator and tapped but nothing. It’s not looking good! Any advice?

Just to update, the black stains were blood and he died in his shell. He hadn’t moved at all since pipping the air hole so I can only assume he must’ve burst a vessel in the process and bled out. Poor guy. Thanks for everyone’s advice though x

Back
Top Bottom