1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!! pips but no zips

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by afewhens, Sep 27, 2008.

1. afewhens

afewhens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    we here pecking and peeps and about 12 hours ago we had 3 pips... should we be worried

2. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    No, you have to give them time. they get tired after their pip and need to rest. I will tell you though on my first hatch 2 did pip and I let them be and they died. I don't know why...so you really need to go off of instinct. It's a fine line though. Just remember are the few that you think need help worth risking the whole hatch? And do they really need help...?

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I waited a full 24 hours after the pip before I helped on mine. I'm glad I waited but I think it did need my help.
    If the peeping is getting less and less when you peep to it or scratch on the side of the 'bator then it might be time.
    I think that 24 hours is an acceptable time to wait. Just research how to "help" so you know what to do and how to be prepared.
    ~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by