Help please: 2 year old chicken can’t stand/walk

Beth8855

Hatching
Jan 25, 2021
My hen (not sure breed, white and small in size) about 2 years old started having difficulty walking 3 days ago. Appeared to have possibly sprained right lower leg. I am keeping her separate from my other 2 hens for now. Her left leg developed weakness. She has some movement at hip but lower leg feels flaccid. She can not stand. If I put her down to stand her legs splay, left forwards and right backwards. She still can flap her wings. No signs of cuts or infection on feet or legs. She is comfortable sitting in box of shavings and eats, drinks and poops. I started giving her vitamin B. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be or course of treatment or where to research further? No vets around me treat chickens. She hasn’t laid any eggs for a while, even before this. Thank you, Beth

Attachments

• FD104684-75BD-4406-AD0E-4109110245C2.jpeg
    FD104684-75BD-4406-AD0E-4109110245C2.jpeg
    537.7 KB · Views: 33
  • D3EC3CCA-3A2B-42FE-ADE1-59A88678EFF4.jpeg
    D3EC3CCA-3A2B-42FE-ADE1-59A88678EFF4.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 13
Is she showing any other symptoms? Belly swollen? Any brusing? does her comb always have that purple color at the top?
We think the color is the same. No bruising. No swelling. I just checked her vent area and no signs of lice or mites. Saturday she couldn’t move her left leg. Today she has some hip motion. She just tried to stand. Still not much weight bearing on left side. I’m hoping she will slowly start improving, but no idea what has caused the weakness. Any suggestions for treatment appreciated.
Thank you

Do you see any swelling, redness, or green bruising around her knee or upper leg? An injury such as a sprain or dislocated hip might be possible. It sounds like there is some nerve involvement. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently in case one could have been a carrier for Mareks disease? Was she vaccinated? I would offer some vitamin B complex, either the human tablets (1/4 tablets crushed into a spoonfull of water) or the injectable liquid from the feed stores 1/4 ml given orally.

Chicken sling seats can be a good way of getting them upright to rest the leg, and in front of food a water for a few hours a day. Some chickens do not tolerate them and may try to get out of them. Here are some examples you can make:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Do you see any swelling, redness, or green bruising around her knee or upper leg? An injury such as a sprain or dislocated hip might be possible. It sounds like there is some nerve involvement. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently in case one could have been a carrier for Mareks disease? Was she vaccinated? I would offer some vitamin B complex, either the human tablets (1/4 tablets crushed into a spoonfull of water) or the injectable liquid from the feed stores 1/4 ml given orally.

Chicken sling seats can be a good way of getting them upright to rest the leg, and in front of food a water for a few hours a day. Some chickens do not tolerate them and may try to get out of them. Here are some examples you can make:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Thank you. I will check those out. No new chickens were introduced, so hoping it’s not Marek’s disease. I’ll look at her hip more closely. Thank you.

If you could see a vet for an xray, they may be able to help. Not all vets are willing to see a chickens, and they can be expensive, especially doing xrays.

My hen (not sure breed, white and small in size) about 2 years old started having difficulty walking 3 days ago. Appeared to have possibly sprained right lower leg. I am keeping her separate from my other 2 hens for now. Her left leg developed weakness. She has some movement at hip but lower leg feels flaccid. She can not stand. If I put her down to stand her legs splay, left forwards and right backwards. She still can flap her wings. No signs of cuts or infection on feet or legs. She is comfortable sitting in box of shavings and eats, drinks and poops. I started giving her vitamin B. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be or course of treatment or where to research further? No vets around me treat chickens. She hasn’t laid any eggs for a while, even before this. Thank you, Beth
I brought her to a vet. He does think it’s Marek’s :( He said it was ok to put her back in the coop with my other 2 hens since they’ve already been exposed. I’m not sure that’s a good idea. Currently she’s still in my home. We are able to give her food and water. She still eats and drinks. It’s really sad. Sometimes she tries to stand. I’ve made a chicken sling for her and only use it for short times each day supervised. She seems to like to be held. This is hard cause it’s my daughter’s chicken, but I’m not sure how long I can have it live in my home :(
Anyone else have a chicken with Marek’s? Did it survive? I see there is no cure. Just concerned about her quality of life. Also I have other pets. I’ve read it is just an avian virus, but am concerned.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom