Help please? Are my RIR pullets?

rhaj

Songster
13 Years
May 30, 2010
NE'ern Connecticut
I have 6 chicks. 3 are red sexlinks, so no worries there... but my other 3 are RIR. One of them has always been further ahead of the others, I thought maybe that was just the way she is... like people. But I am getting nervous that "Rose" is a rooster because her comb is larger and more pink than the others. Chrysanthemum is sort of in the middle, and Violet I do think is a girl. I got them on mothers day 5/9, and was told they were 4-5 days old.. so, they are about 5 weeks old right now.

Here are all 3 together:

RIRchicks.jpg

RIRchicks2.jpg

Rose- is she a he?!? (though pics make her comb look more red than usual):

RIRchicksRose2.jpg

RIRchicksRose.jpg

Chrysanthemum (hmm, middle, not sure):

RIRchicksChrys.jpg

RIRchicksChrys2.jpg

Violet (think is hen):

RIRchicksViolet.jpg

RIRchicksViolet2.jpg

Yes, they all have flower names... my red sex links are Daisy, Lily, and Buttercup
smile.png

EDIT: Thought I would update in case anyone came across this post in a search. I gave away "Rose" and Chrysanthemum" who were almost definitely boys. However, VIOLET is here- she is a laying HEN.

Last edited:
Even Violet. I'm sorry but I use to raise RIRs and pullets do not get any kind of comb til they are laying age. Pretty durn sure.

Last edited:
oh no
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

ok I suppose I should think about taking them to one of those chickenstock places to find someone who wants roos... I know of a couple that are coming up within driving distance, about an hour and a half away...

Good thing I didn't get 6 RIR's, since apparently they had someone sexing them that had no clue!
sad.png
Good thing I also got the 3 sexlinks...

I thought Violet was a girl because her comb does look just like my red sexlinks combs. But I guess it's just the difference of breeds? It's typical of a sexlink, but not typical of a RIR I guess?

Back
Top Bottom