Help please. Bad pecking injury and wry neck.

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
Snuggle, my seven week old showgirl, has had severe wry neck for two days. It came on suddenly. Today when I was feeding him I saw an injury on his neck. I’m pretty sure I know who did it and I’ve removed the culprit. I’ve also isolated Snuggle. How do I treat this? So far all I’ve done is put vetericyn on it. I’m not pulling it apart in the first picture. If he stretches his neck the wound opens more.
FCBC8536-2EF0-4700-918A-3EC334E27D9A.jpeg
B0EF4450-26E0-4A6D-A6F1-C36AFBB09A22.jpeg

@LynnaePB I’m going to update on snuggle here. So the other thread can stay about the pictures.

Had to bandage the wound yesterday since the wry neck issue caused it to bleed all over him. But I changed Snuggles bandage this morning. The wound didn’t look inflamed or pink. So I don’t think it’s infected. I put bacitracin on it but forgot to wash it again or flush it out with antiseptic.

He’s so stressed out and I hate stressing him more by handling him. In the morning I keep finding his head totally upside down. I think the pecking injury happened because of the wry neck. He now gets his meds three times a day instead of two. He’s on liquid vitamin E, liquid vitamin b-12, and the vitamin E and selenium goat gel. I also give him .2ml of poultry cell. While I have him I syringe feed him water since he can’t drink. It all goes out the other side of his mouth. But when I syringe feed it to him he can drink it. I make sure he drinks until he turns the syringe away. I also feed him. I don’t have a tube to feed him yet so I hand feed him mash. He can eat if I put the bowl in front of him and he wakes up enough. He’s very sleepy.

How many times a day should I change his bandage? Anything else I should be doing?

Back
Top Bottom