Help please - bantam eggs candled....

Kitkatk8

Chirping
Apr 1, 2020
Okay....

Tina turner, my silkie is sitting on 10 adopted eggs - 3 of which are bantam. I’m concerned about the bantam eggs.They’re allegedly 5 days old but maybe could be 7? When I candle them....they’re really weird and watery looking with layers. I’m assuming they’re not Viable and I’m terrified they’ll explode - but before I remove them permanently, can I please get your opinions?

New to this have no idea what I’m doing so sorry for the bad pics

Attachments

• 368E3970-37AF-49DF-9833-0A7809A905C4.jpeg
    368E3970-37AF-49DF-9833-0A7809A905C4.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 8
  • D7F710FA-45DC-426D-A3AF-E761E14C14DB.jpeg
    D7F710FA-45DC-426D-A3AF-E761E14C14DB.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 2AF8CD53-56AC-41F6-845B-E9C2E080DCBF.jpeg
    2AF8CD53-56AC-41F6-845B-E9C2E080DCBF.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 8
Hey - it's sort of hard to tell because there's a lot of background light. Could you take some pictures with the main lights off/darkened room? Is the wobbling the air cell moving?

Pic 3 looks like it has active veins in but I can't see enough of the other 2. Were these shipped eggs?

:) B

In any case, and before you throw them, I would give them a bit longer to see how they progress - no point getting rid of them before you know. If they smell bad at all or develop an obvious blood ring, then maybe I would dispose at that point.

I have never incubated under a broody before (artificial mama hen here) so I would have put these fat side up in an egg carton in the inc - but I am not sure what to do in this case for natural inc. Sorry.

Hey - it's sort of hard to tell because there's a lot of background light. Could you take some pictures with the main lights off/darkened room? Is the wobbling the air cell moving?

Pic 3 looks like it has active veins in but I can't see enough of the other 2. Were these shipped eggs?

:) B
Thank you! Sorry that is actually in a pitch black dark room - but the flashlight is one of those damn LED ones that’s so tiny but waaaaay too bright! I’ll try later with another light

not shipped - got them from a friend who has tons of chickens and eggs because my Silkie went badly badly broody 😂

Thank you! Sorry that is actually in a pitch black dark room - but the flashlight is one of those damn LED ones that’s so tiny but waaaaay too bright! I’ll try later with another light

not shipped - got them from a friend who has tons of chickens and eggs because my Silkie went badly badly broody 😂

I am happy to have another look if you can get clearer shots - have you tried candling with your phone flashlight and an aperture in card? Either way - at present 3 looks viable rn but I wouldn't discount the other 2 just yet. Good luck with that broody silkie - fingers crossed for a good hatch for you.

Just an update -unfortunately none of the 3 bantam eggs made it. They all went bad several days after these pics. Blood rings then leaking/weeping (not sure of term)

thank you all for replies! Still hoping the 7 silkies make it

Back
Top Bottom