HELP PLEASE!!! Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance EX (w/Auto Humidity Pump)

ChickenCoop3

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 23, 2009
I would really R-E-A-L-L-Y appreciate help!!! I just can't "get it" - what looked like such fun and super cool is 'TORTURING ME'!
I have tried to hatch eggs 3X already with NO success - I have worked out some little problems - hose not tight enough -
etc..The LAST thing I can think of is I am having Temp/Humidity Issue -

HELP –
Brinsea Octagon 20 Advanced EX w/ Humidity Control –
Recommended Temp (Hen Eggs) 99.3-99.6
Recommended Humidity – 40% - 50%

I set digital Temp to (99.4 F) and Humidity (45%):
Placed TWO different Digital Thermometers inside – one flat in basket – one at top of egg height –
Brinsea Digital Display is reading: Temp 99.3 – RH 51%
Lowest Digital Display reads – T 9.3 – RH 44%
Digital Display Egg Height reads – Temp 93.2 – RH 42%
(I am NOT freaking out over the Humidity – I AM freaking out over the Temp –HUGE difference-WHY???)

Million Dollar Question – WHY am I getting such different readings – unit is FORCED AIR, I should have the same Temp/Humidity inside ENTIRE Incubator
What do I do???? Raise the temp and humidity to be correct on Digital INTERNAL thermometer(s) – OR – Set the TOP Brinsea Digital Temp/Humidity to recommended Temp and Humidity and Let R’ Go????
I am REALLY beginning to HATE EGGS!

“Broody” Hens are WAY UNDER RATED!!!!

NOW – could the difference be coming from the folded in half moisture card I put in there that the Automatic Humidifier drips into to???
I am going to remove it for tonight and SEE what the readings are in the AM - ?

Link to Unit:
http://www.brinsea.com/products/octagon20A.html

Thank you for any/all help -
Vicky

I don't own one but I will try to help. Maybe someone with this type will chime in.
fl.gif

folded in half moisture card...Is that something that is supposed to go in that incubator?
I have 2 regular ol' still air incubators, and 1 of those 3 egg R-Com incubators(which I have had 98% hatch rate with it). I just set in and go. It will let me know if it is low on water, and if the top is off and causes temp drop.
How long have you had your incubator? Do you have the instructions or looked up troubleshooting?
Worse case would be that you could have a bad unit.

Quote:
Ok first off - LOSE THE BOOK!!!! The one that came with the bator. Toss it. Adjust the temp thingy so it is straight up and down (I have the Brinsea Octogon 20 Eco). Second, fill the tray - just one tray - with about 1/4 cup of water. Do this daily. Do not remove the tray - pour the water down between the eggs. Now walk away. This bator is pretty much stupid proof which is why I have it!!!

ETA - get a different thermometer - the one that comes with it is crap.

Last edited:
You don't want to put water in the trays with the Octagon Advance EX with the humidity pump. The pump will push the amount of water needed onto the folded card. The pump will stop when the humidity reaches the set point. But you know that.

Have you bumped the humidity up to 65% during lockdown? I don't understand why you are getting all the different temps. I put a homemade egg-o-meter in to check mine when it was new and it was spot on perfect. Maybe you should call Brinsea and tell them what's going on and ask for some technical assistance. Maybe the thermostat is off. Are you using shipped eggs? I have had decent hatches in mine but all were shipped eggs and some were in bad shape.

It must be frustrating. I am sorry I couldn't be more help but I have the Advance and the ECO and they have both been great.

Mary

p.s. If you find out please lost!

Thank you EVERYONE for your help - I GOT IT - ALL BETTER NOW!

For whatever reason the calibration came off from the factory - so for everyone that MAY ever have the same problem this is HOW
you fix that problem -

UnPlug the Unit
Hold down the OK button
Plug the unit back into the electric so you have power - STILL holding down OK button
Unit will make some chiming sounds - you will see the unit scroll thru all the settings
after a FEW seconds of holding the OK button WITH power to the Unit - your factory calibration will be RE-SET and you are GOOD TO GO!!!

Did this and within minutes everything started coming together - AMAZING - OK - SO , now I don't feel like a TOTAL idiot -
It was NOT my fault -
I hope this helps someone else - if anyone has ANY questions please feel free to PM me - I know EVERYTHING NOW - about the Brinsea Octagon 20 - LOL AND the Polyhatch!

THANK YOU AGAIN - I LOVE THIS GROUP!!!!
Vicky

I have a pro 20 and while my temps were near perfect, my humidity never jived with what the readout said. If I had it set on 50%, display would say it was around 60%. But, it was around 52% or so near the eggs. I pulled the little cap thingy off the humidity mod control and put it on 50. I dont know what the new ones look like, mines about 5 or 6 years old.

I know this is an old thread but I think you have just sorted my Brinsea. Had 2 very poor hatches, hope this works now. Thermometer temp has raised to a perfect 37.5 now. Thanks.

Oh my goodness. This is me. I recently bought the octagon 20 as a treat and a big upgrade from the mini eco. The mini Eco worked a treat and we had successful hatches from it - 50% on shipped eggs and 90-100% on home eggs. But I wanted more space and an autoturn feature.

We just got to the end of a heartbreakingly bad hatch - just 2/12 hatched, and didn't come out until nearly day 25. Two others tried to hatch - one made it out with help but was super weak (and died) and another died after pipping. I thought my humidity was off. Surely the all singing all dancing incubator will not be at fault. I just checked the temperature in there with the Mercury from my mini Eco - it was only 36.2C. Over a degree out. I'm really disappointed and a touch angry. Why should I expect to reset something fresh from the box? I followed the steps above to reset and it's now running at 37.3ish (display says 37.5).

Thanks for sorting this out!

Back
Top Bottom