*Help Please* bumblefoot much worse!! (graphic pic)

blueberrychickens

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Hudson, MA
Please help me!! I did the bumblefoot surgery on my 2 yr GLW hen. The first one looks great, the 2nd foot is horribly infected now! It didn't look this bad when I did the original surgery. Her poor foot is very swollen but when I soak & squeeze it, no pus comes out, just a clear yellowish liquid. The skin on the top of her foot is starting to peel off too from being squeezed so much. I just soaked her feet in epsom salts & then soaked in betadine/water. Dryed them off & am now trying the sugar & betadine poultice that I heard works wonders. Her feet are all wrapped up w/ vetwrap to keep them clean. If I have to separate her from the flock, she'll have to be in the house & she won't like that too much as she is broody like crazy right now.
Here is the picture from today. I can't take her to the vet & in Massachusetts you can't buy antibiotics over the counter.

Also, I never did get any cheesey plug from the bad foot either, only a small one from the other foot.
What else can I do???
(I did the surgery on Monday 8-6)

Last edited:
sorry i wished i could help.type in dawg53 in your search bar.he may be able to help you.

Make a betadine/Epsom salt paste, apply to foot and wrap in a loose bandage. You should be able to get both products at any drugstore or walmart. Keep wrap on for three days. Keep your chicken in a spotlessly clean area-dog carrier, and change bandage if it is soiled. After three days remove bandage and allow exposure to air. Again, keep chicken in a clean area. Don't use shavings of any sort during this time. I like to use newpaper and paper towels. You can apply plain betadine to lesion during this time. Keep foot clean and dry, but don't try to squeeze foot. If the foot looks better after bandage has been off for three days, continue to apply betadine for 10 days-longer if need. Make sure chicken remains in a clean, dry area.

You can also use strong iodine and Epsom salt paste as an potent drawing agent.

I hope this helps.

Good luck with your hen's feet. I am dealing with bumblefoot myself right now on one of my EE's and it's stressful to say the very least. I hope her feet start to feel better soon.

You're right. I have never been so stressed when dealing with my girls. None of them are limping, yet. I am beside myself. I ordered some tricide neo to use as an antibiotic soak. I am tying 2 different methods. Waiting for 3 days for the tricide neo to get here. Time will tell and I am not patient when it come to my helpless girls. Sad to say the least. Thank goodness for Vetericyn.
I hope your chickens get well too.

I'm using tricide neo, plus epsom soaks and neosporin, wrapping the feet in vet wrap, right now too so let me know how it works for you. I think it is helping, but slowly. I have heard that in most cases you must allow at least a week for tricide neo to work, and probably more for cases that are more severe. It seems that a lot of people have had luck with the tricide, though. It is definitely totally nerve-wracking!

ETA: I also have mine on a water-soluble, broad-spectrum antibiotic powder. On its own it wouldn't be strong enough, but my father who is a clinical microbiologist and specializes in infectious disease research (so has lots of experience with staph!) said that it would probably assist to use internal + external (tricide neo) antibiotic. Not sure if you are trying that, but it couldn't hurt and has an expert's recommendation.

Last edited:
Depending on where in MA you live, perhaps u could travel to another state to get antibiotics?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom