Help please! Chick has something stuck in throat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littlesqueaks, Jul 6, 2010.

1. littlesqueaks

littlesqueaks New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    Hi - I hope someone can help me.

We are caring for 3 partridge chicks that escaped from the neighbours cat, mum was attacked and hasn't been seen since, 8 other babies didn't survive. Our 3 were found on our back doorstep.

They are 6 days old.

We have been following advice regarding feeding. Last night they tucked into their dinner of mini mealworms. One of them looks as though he has got a mealworm stuck in it's throat, it may be something else like straw and I may not have noticed it before. It literally looks as though he has a stick sitting poking out of either side of his neck.

I don't have enough experience of birds to know if this could be normal, like an accumulation of grit maybe?

I have tried gently massaging his neck, he doesn't seem in pain. He is picking at food but I don't know if it is going down, he has had a little egg yolk and some baby chick crumbs.

I would be happy to take him to the vet but I don't know if that would be more stressfull and therefore do more harm than good.

Do you think I should risk a trip to the vet? And if so, should I take all three or risk seperating them?

Thank you.

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Maybe an eyedropper of olive oil to help it slide down would help. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by