Help Please! Chicken-Friendly Towns in Eastern PA?

lelisabeth

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Elverson, Pennsylvania
My husband and I will be moving to Pennsylvania sometime next year, and we need to find a nice town to live in. My husband will be working in Birdsboro, PA, which is just outside of Reading, PA. We would like to live closer to Philly, somewhere around Phoenixville, or Devon, PA, but we are not familiar with the area at all. We want a really nice town to live in, with good schools, historic homes, and a nice main street. Of course, chickens are a must! Anyone have any suggestions??

That is a pretty nice area. Pennsylvania is full of nice small towns, with good schools, historic homes, and nice main streets. However, I'd look out for travel time. Even though it looks like only about 20 miles between Birdsboro and Phoenixville, that might equal over an hour each way during peak travel times.

As to whether it will be chicken friendly or not will depend a lot on the individual location ... how much land, how close to town, local ordinances.

Hi I know you've posted a couple of years ago, but I was looking to find out if you ended up moving to Birdsboro or somewhere in Exeter township? We live in birdsboro, and would love to raise couple of chickens, but we don't know if it would be OK. The area appearanly is not zoned for raising chickens for now (I called township engineering department), but that maight change. We are dissapointed but hopeful that they will change it or maybe somebody could suggest how to go around it (smiley), and still have chickens in the back yard (we have half an acre).

Back
Top Bottom