HELP please! Choking chick!!

Fraoch21

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Highlands, Scotland
My 4 week old chick as suddenly started choking on something and looks as though its about to give up in life any minute now!! It is gaping and closing its eyes. Every now and again it does a gagging motion and shakes itself back and forth and jumps around. Ive tried gently massaging its neck but it just starts making a pained sound and it doesn't seem to help!!

Does it have something stuck in it's airway, such as a piece of food or grain? Check the crop for an impacted crop (full and hard.) Respiratory diseases can cause mucus plugs in the airway, and there can be gasping and head-shaking to dislodge these. Here is a link to read about diseases such as infectious bronchitis, MG, coryza, and LT which can cause respiratory symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Its literally getting worse every minute, every now and again it stops breathing completely and then has a sort of fit in an attempt to clear its throat, I think. Ive looked down its throat, nothing obvious there and felt its crop, its almost empty. Just tried some olive oil dropped into its throat and massaged it again but no luck. I feel so helpless right now! And thank you, ill look at the link.

The olive oil in the the throat could cause aspiration and lipid pneumonia, and if the crop is empty, there is no point. I'm so sorry that it sounds like your chick may be dying. It may have gotten ahold of something that got stuck in the airway since there can always be little things we don't notice dropping. Look for any eye or nasal drainage, swelling around an eye, chest rattles, and sneezing/coughing. Gasping can be a sign of bronchitis. Look for any wet or moldy conditions in your coop or brooder which can also cause aspergillosis or brooder pneumonia.

Ive just put it in a darkened box for now so it can either sort itself out or give up, I don't know what else to try :/ Ahh ok, I thought it might help slide whatever it is downward. I was watching them only 2 minutes before it started choking and I watch them closely at least once every day and this chick was healthy and happy, along with all the others. there wasn't anything like that, that was obvious to me. And I clean the brooder out every second day so its never damp or very dirty

You could try dipping it's beak into some water or water with a little sugar or electrolytes added for energy. If there is something stuck in the throat or crop it may help to wash it down. Sorry that I didn't see you post till now--I've been off the computer.

Back
Top Bottom