HELP!! Please- crop problem

chickity-chick

Songster
May 1, 2020
Atlanta, GA
My chicken Poppy has had an impacted crop for roughly 5 days. I took her to the vet on day 2. They told me I had worms and they gave her an anti-inflammatory shot and to bring her back for a different shot if that didn’t work in a couple days. So I went back and got the daily crop stimulant shots. However on day 2am and then again after the vet in the pm she ate an entire bowl of grit- like ALOT and I just feel it sitting in her crop. There has been no improvements and I can still feel all the grit stuck in the crop. I’m supposed to do the shots for 4 days and then bring her back in if she’s not better. Can she wait this long? She’s not really eating or drinking anymore. I feel like she just needs her crop manually emptied but I’m not sure and am really worried about her and would appreciate any advice or guidance that I could do to help her. Thank you!

Did you treat her for worms yet? If that's causing the crop issues, I'd think that'd be the place to start.
Yes, we treated with Pancur (first dose) the day I took her to the vet. And then two days later started treating with corid and are on day 3 of that. She still has the fully crop and is barley eating. She also hates the corid water and her drinking ha gone down because of this.

I acquired two Rhode Islands, and found out that the owner was feeding them bread. Two days with me and the crop would not empty. A friend told me to give olive oil. Well, I only had corn oil, so I filled a .5 cc syringe and let her drink it as I was not comfortable with putting down her throat. I massaged it and the next morning she was fine. Don' t let her eat grits, only her pellets or crumbles. Grits expand!!!!!! That's why grits are used to kill ants, because they expand......

If she has worms, you're going to need to treat for that now. You can treat with Corid at the same time, but her diagnosis was given by a vet. I'd treat for the problem at hand given by a medical professional, intestinal parasites. Separate her from the flock to observe her waste once treatment begins.

Most here will treat with Safeguard (Fenbendazole) at a dosage of .23lm per pound of weight given once per day for 5 days. If she is heavily infested, she will likely expel a large amount of worms shortly after the first dose, and it's critical that she remains hydrated throughout this process. If she doesn't like the Corid water, I'd remove it, and give fresh water only. Maybe she'll drink on her own...

Safeguard and water to hydrate are given the same way. See this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

You're going to want to assist her crop as much as possible for a day or two. Getting the crop moving is going to help get the medication and hydration into her. Water will also help to break the "clog", so give her some water; we use a medicine dropper and give about .5ml at a time. Wait about 5-10 minutes, then massage her crop for 5-10 minutes to soften the contents. If you feel that this is not working, you can freeze little pea-sized pieces of Coconut Oil and give them orally (3 or 4 of those pieces at once), wait 10 minutes for them to melt, then massage her crop again.

The crop issues, in my humble opinion, are possibly due to her gorging herself because the parasites are essentially starving her. Hydrate her, get her crop softened and moving a bit, then de-worm her. Keep an eye on her water intake throughout this process. No treatment will work if she doesn't stay hydrated. Manually water her via syringe/dropper if necessary.

Last, if one bird has intestinal parasites, it's likely they all need to be treated...

Attachments

• Safeguard.jpg
    Safeguard.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 3
They told me I had worms and they gave her an anti-inflammatory shot and to bring her back for a different shot if that didn’t work in a couple days. So I went back and got the daily crop stimulant shots. However on day 2am and then again after the vet in the pm she ate an entire bowl of grit- like ALOT and I just feel it sitting in her crop. There has been no improvements and I can still feel all the grit stuck in the crop. I’m supposed to do the shots for 4 days and then bring her back in if she’s not better. Can she wait this long? She’s not really eating or drinking anymore.

Yes, we treated with Pancur (first dose) the day I took her to the vet. And then two days later started treating with corid and are on day 3 of that. She still has the fully crop and is barley eating. She also hates the corid water and her drinking ha gone down because of this.

If she has worms, you're going to need to treat for that now.
Most here will treat with Safeguard (Fenbendazole) at a dosage of .23lm per pound of weight given once per day for 5 days.
Panacur is Fenbendazole just a different branding, so the OP is already addressing the worms. Hopefully correct dosing was administered by the vet.

Did they vet also say she had a coccidiosis overload and suggest the Corid? Corid should not be detectable in the water - what's the dosing you are using?

How old is this bird?

If she's not improving and you are to have a follow up with the vet about her care, call and check if you can come in earlier.

She does need hydration for sure. IF the vet recommended the Corid, then syringe the mixed water into her. IF this is something you decided to treat for yourself, then giving plain water would be best to get her drinking.

Do keep in mind that very often crop issues are the result of an underlying condition. Give this detailed article a read which explains some causes and treatments, but I highly recommend that you contact your vet.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

I acquired two Rhode Islands, and found out that the owner was feeding them bread. Two days with me and the crop would not empty. A friend told me to give olive oil. Well, I only had corn oil, so I filled a .5 cc syringe and let her drink it as I was not comfortable with putting down her throat. I massaged it and the next morning she was fine. Don' t let her eat grits, only her pellets or crumbles. Grits expand!!!!!! That's why grits are used to kill ants, because they expand......
I don’t mean grits like the food I mean grit like the stones they eat to help their gizzards digest food. It’s like little stones not a good item at all. This is why I haven’t given olive oil I don’t think it will help with literal rocks.

She is 1 year old and a couple months and being treated for both types of worms. I am massaging and syringing 5-10ml h2o manually 3X day. I am using the corid water for this too. I think she has stopped drinking maybe because she is feeling worse? She also has stopped eating the treats that she was picking at before. I am going to call again the the morning to see if she can come earlier. It’s just showing no signs of improvement even with these crop stimulation shots and massages :( I think it was due to the worms and due to the fact that the week prior to this occurrence my auto ship food for them was late so they went a week on homemade feed I whipped together from the Kroger for them. I think the abrupt food change with the worms and her molting AND excessive grit intake did her in :( I feel so bad. I just assumed the food would be on time because it always is and it just didn’t show.

Panacur is Fenbendazole just a different branding, so the OP is already addressing the worms. Hopefully correct dosing was administered by the vet.

Did they vet also say she had a coccidiosis overload and suggest the Corid? Corid should not be detectable in the water - what's the dosing you are using?

How old is this bird?

If she's not improving and you are to have a follow up with the vet about her care, call and check if you can come in earlier.

She does need hydration for sure. IF the vet recommended the Corid, then syringe the mixed water into her. IF this is something you decided to treat for yourself, then giving plain water would be best to get her drinking.

Do keep in mind that very often crop issues are the result of an underlying condition. Give this detailed article a read which explains some causes and treatments, but I highly recommend that you contact your vet.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

Last edited:
Yes! The whole flock is being treated with both dewoemers! (See post above with my reply to another) I have been doing the water and massage. I will add in some fresh normal water tomorrow along with her medicine water. The reason why I haven’t done the frozen coconut oil is because I don’t know how to get a chicken to swallow a pill or anything forcibly! I just learned how to kinda give oral meds in a syringe and made a mess of the pankur and everyone’s beaks. Finally figured out today to just grab the head hold on and pry the beak open 😂 took me long enough. I am also too scared to put the pill/frozen oil down the wrong pipe since i know the middle one is the air pipe so to say.
If she has worms, you're going to need to treat for that now. You can treat with Corid at the same time, but her diagnosis was given by a vet. I'd treat for the problem at hand given by a medical professional, intestinal parasites. Separate her from the flock to observe her waste once treatment begins.

Most here will treat with Safeguard (Fenbendazole) at a dosage of .23lm per pound of weight given once per day for 5 days. If she is heavily infested, she will likely expel a large amount of worms shortly after the first dose, and it's critical that she remains hydrated throughout this process. If she doesn't like the Corid water, I'd remove it, and give fresh water only. Maybe she'll drink on her own...

Safeguard and water to hydrate are given the same way. See this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

You're going to want to assist her crop as much as possible for a day or two. Getting the crop moving is going to help get the medication and hydration into her. Water will also help to break the "clog", so give her some water; we use a medicine dropper and give about .5ml at a time. Wait about 5-10 minutes, then massage her crop for 5-10 minutes to soften the contents. If you feel that this is not working, you can freeze little pea-sized pieces of Coconut Oil and give them orally (3 or 4 of those pieces at once), wait 10 minutes for them to melt, then massage her crop again.

The crop issues, in my humble opinion, are possibly due to her gorging herself because the parasites are essentially starving her. Hydrate her, get her crop softened and moving a bit, then de-worm her. Keep an eye on her water intake throughout this process. No treatment will work if she doesn't stay hydrated. Manually water her via syringe/dropper if necessary.

Last, if one bird has intestinal parasites, it's likely they all need to be treated...

Back
Top Bottom