HELP PLEASE ~ Duckling born with twisted leg

So, The little Duckie and I were hanging out today, and I realized that in the first week of his life, he HAS come a long way. The first few days of his life, he couldnt stand or even bring his leg from behind him - to underneath him. But, as of today, he has the strength to pull that leg under him when it slips out, and he CAN stand and even take a few steps!
clap.gif
He is still pretty wobbley, and needs to work on his balance, but I think this may work. Duckies sibling, is about twice his size though. But Duckie has been handled so much.......and its going to be fine if he's a bit of a "runt". Thanks everyone for ALL you're help and support. I will hopefully be posting some more pics on here this weekend of his progress!
fl.gif

OMG, I know its been forever since I've been on here, but I thought an update was in order. Duckie is doing absolutly great! He's almost fully grown, only waiting on a few more feathers to fill in. He walks Better than I could have ever imagined!!!! Its amazing. He's a quick little guy, keeping up with his other sibling just fine. He does walk with a hint of a limp, but is spectacular. We have moved the two ducklings and chicks out to the barn in an old horse stall that we overhauled for the little guys. I just can not believe how wonderful Duckie is doing and wanted to thank all of you for your help and advice!

I don't know if you come on anymore -but while searching for info about my little gimpy I came across your thread here.
It has helped tremendously & I have hope that my little girl will pull thru & be able to have a pretty normal life. She is 1 out of 8 Cayugas I incubated. They hatched yesterday the 16th & she was stuck & needed assistance her right leg is twisted inwards & will drag behind her when she scoots. I have been putting it back the way it should, helping her balance & she just had her first tub experience. At first she swam in circles..but after a few circle laps she got the hang of it. After tub time she was able to balance a bit better & even tried to preen herself! 2 other girl hatch mates help her preen :)

Thanks again for posting all the updates and what you tried.

I don't know if you come on anymore -but while searching for info about my little gimpy I came across your thread here.
It has helped tremendously & I have hope that my little girl will pull thru & be able to have a pretty normal life. She is 1 out of 8 Cayugas I incubated. They hatched yesterday the 16th & she was stuck & needed assistance her right leg is twisted inwards & will drag behind her when she scoots. I have been putting it back the way it should, helping her balance & she just had her first tub experience. At first she swam in circles..but after a few circle laps she got the hang of it. After tub time she was able to balance a bit better & even tried to preen herself! 2 other girl hatch mates help her preen :)

Thanks again for posting all the updates and what you tried.
Swim time is great therapy it will help to strengthen her leg. Keep us updated on progress.

When I try and get the little guy to stand up, by holding his belly and letting him support himself, the leg touches the ground, but the foot is spun around and almost facing backwards. The top of the foot is still facing up, but the foot is turned about 150 degrees. I cant constantly hold the little guy, but it seems to me like if I can get his leg to bend underneath him, he could start to try and stand on it. I've seen and heard of people using bandaids and such as a splint/sling to try and straiten legs and feet out. The leg doesnt seem to hurt him, even when I place the leg where and how it should be, but he just doesnt hold it there. I think he just needs some support, but Im not sure how to do it! Thanks
I have one that is the exact same as what you are describing. She is a Welsh Harlequin, born 4 days ago. We were going to put her down but I just couldn't!! We call her Peanut since she is so small, and actually came from a small egg. The info I have read says how you need to work with this sort of thing through therapy, I think it has something to do with imprinting. I have been using my finger to try to maintain her in the correct position to walk and I see improvement the past day or so but she is getting so quick and loves to move around that it is getting difficult to keep up with her. After her "workout" which lasts a minute or so, she stops and gets a drink and a nibble, even a small rest, then we do it again (several times a day). I am making a small harness today and hopefully that will work out better for my back and she will learn quicker...easier on my back! The other hatchlings ignore her so she spends more time with me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom