Help please! Duckling hatched with severe leg deformity!

Ctducklady

Hatching
Apr 17, 2020
hi everyone I really need some advice ASAP if possible. I hatched ducklings for the first time this month . 7 of my 7 eggs hatched but the 7th duckling hatched on day 29th with a leg severely deformed. It was an assisted hatch as it had externally pipped on day 28th but hadn’t made much progress in over 24 hours.Everything I’ve read says not to assist unless it’s an emergency. When it came out of the shell it had its left leg folded over its back to the right and the other it holds straight out. What happened??
9C48FE2B-DD78-4029-8A27-613A1C0637AD.jpeg
Is there a way to help this duckling or do I have to euthanize it?
Thank you

Hi and welcome to BYC. So sorry nobody answered you. Did the leg straighten out any? It's been almost a month but B-complex from Tractor Supply helps tremendously with a situation like this most of the time.

Please post right on the regular duck forum too if nobody answers. I feel awful that nobody did.

Hi and welcome to BYC. So sorry nobody answered you. Did the leg straighten out any? It's been almost a month but B-complex from Tractor Supply helps tremendously with a situation like this most of the time.

Please post right on the regular duck forum too if nobody answers. I feel awful that nobody did.
I didn’t know there was a direct duck forum. I’m still figuring out this site. The duckling had to be euthanized. Its leg was not straightening and seemed fixed in place. It’s belly also looked deformed with an opening
:( super sad. First time hatching might be my last. My other ducklings are happy and healthy. Thank you for responding ❤️

Back
Top Bottom