Meet Henry! Crooked legged olive egger

Here is a thread about Cleopatra a rooster who had a leg bone deformity and got around pretty well:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-chick-with-weird-leg.978353/
Thank you! That gives me hope. I’m not sure if it’s going to make a difference that her leg bends to the outside but I’m feeling much better about.
I’ve included some photos of my Americana hen that has a similar issue. She’s done amazingly and even manages to get up and down from the regular roost that’s about three feet up. She’s very quirky. She uses our cat door to come inside and lay an egg on our couch quite often😂❤️

Attachments

• IMG_3643.png
    IMG_3643.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3644.png
    IMG_3644.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3645.png
    IMG_3645.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
I Guess i only have one other question, is the deformity genetic? I originally planned to use her in my projects bc of her barring and muffs. (When I thought it was just an unfortunate injury) but I absolutely don’t want to risk creating more with this issue.
And does anyone have any ideas on her breed?

You don't have to decide to cull for a while. The chick in my profile photo had the same issue, but even worse. His leg literally pointed in the opposite direction. Wasn't a slipped tendon or anything like that. Ollie didn't respond well to splinting at all.

He was quite active, but he had some real issues getting around, so I decided to amputate the leg. He responded very well, learned to stand upright, and was an excellent hopper. Sweetest chick I think I've ever had.

If Henry can get off the ground and make it to nourishment, you can leave him. If he's stuck on the ground like Ollie was, I would cull or if you have your heart set on keeping him, amputate. You just have to be prepared to lose Henry because of the process or even if he recovers, due to predatory issues. Ollie didn't stand a chance against a predator and neither would Henry.

I really hope this helps and that everything works out.

I Guess i only have one other question, is the deformity genetic? I originally planned to use her in my projects bc of her barring and muffs. (When I thought it was just an unfortunate injury) but I absolutely don’t want to risk creating more with this issue.
And does anyone have any ideas on her breed?
The angular bone deformities (varus, valgus, twisted tibias and slipped tendons) can be due to nutritional deficiency in parent stock or in the chicks, and some may be due to fast growth rates. I think that a lot of foot and leg problems at hatch may also be due to incubation temperatures and humidity issues. Here is an interesting article on leg bone deformities:
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...WQiLCJwcmV2aW91c1BhZ2UiOiJwdWJsaWNhdGlvbiJ9fQ

You don't have to decide to cull for a while. The chick in my profile photo had the same issue, but even worse. His leg literally pointed in the opposite direction. Wasn't a slipped tendon or anything like that. Ollie didn't respond well to splinting at all.

He was quite active, but he had some real issues getting around, so I decided to amputate the leg. He responded very well, learned to stand upright, and was an excellent hopper. Sweetest chick I think I've ever had.

If Henry can get off the ground and make it to nourishment, you can leave him. If he's stuck on the ground like Ollie was, I would cull or if you have your heart set on keeping him, amputate. You just have to be prepared to lose Henry because of the process or even if he recovers, due to predatory issues. Ollie didn't stand a chance against a predator and neither would Henry.

I really hope this helps and that everything works out.
Thank you! She’s been doing okay, it’s definitely a slipped tendon, during her check today I noticed the joint was red and swollen. So I was feeling it for heat and noticed the tendon would easily slip back into place and the entire leg would straighten. She can’t use it for literally anything but still manages to get around. This absolutely did not hurt her and she was basically sleeping in my hand the entire time.
I’ve included a photo of the back of her joints.

Attachments

• IMG_3751.jpeg
    IMG_3751.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom