Help please - ducklings with a new duck :'(

boocool

Hatching
Jul 15, 2016
2 years ago we got 2 white Campbell ducks at 2 days old together, I hand raised them and they free ranged on our land and went in at night. Now yesterday, we lost one of the ducks after 2 days trying to save her.I'm now left with a lonely duck who's never been by herself and is getting very clingy (not sleeping outside and coming in) and spends the days looking for her sister. We have gotten 2 new ducklings that are 3 weeks old, Campbell ducks are hard to come by round here so we got what we could get(none with in a 5 hour drive), she's a very friendly duck and has previously become broody but will she accept these ducklings? Will she hurt them? The last thing I wanted was for one of my girls to end up alone, Iris depended a lot on Dora and without her she seems lost

Rest in peace Dora ♡♡

2 years ago we got 2 white Campbell ducks at 2 days old together, I hand raised them and they free ranged on our land and went in at night. Now yesterday, we lost one of the ducks after 2 days trying to save her.I'm now left with a lonely duck who's never been by herself and is getting very clingy (not sleeping outside and coming in) and spends the days looking for her sister. We have gotten 2 new ducklings that are 3 weeks old, Campbell ducks are hard to come by round here so we got what we could get(none with in a 5 hour drive), she's a very friendly duck and has previously become broody but will she accept these ducklings? Will she hurt them? The last thing I wanted was for one of my girls to end up alone, Iris depended a lot on Dora and without her she seems lost

Rest in peace Dora ♡♡
@boocool So sorry you lost Dora. It's so hard when ducks have such a bond and then one dies. I'd not suggest you put these ducklings in with Iris but make a pen of some kind that the ducklings can be in [especially if your weather is warm] where Iris and the ducklings can live side by side during the day if it gets too cool at night for the ducklings to be outside with out warmth . that way iris can meet the ducklings and the ducklings Iris and once the ducklings are as large as iris they will be able to live together in one place. Ducklings can get hurt by an adult duck if not allowed to get use to then first. Duckling grow fast so it won't take long before they will be close to Iris size and by then they will all be one flock.

Back
Top Bottom