Help Please ~ Eye yuckies in the morning

sunnydee

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Maine
I did a thread search about chickens eyes being stuck together. I found a ton of information thanks to all of your post. However, nothing seemed to match my problem. I have a total of six chickens (3 leghorns and 3 BO). They are about 34 weeks old, live in a 10x14 coop, using deep litter method with shavings. They have a florescent light on during day for a little added heat and to add daylight hours (approx. 12 hours a day). They get to go out in their run during the day if they want, get to free range on the weekends. I feed them 20% layer pellets (Blue Seed brand), they get BOSS, some scratch and variety of treats, and have access to oyster shells and grit.

Here is what I have noticed: We have had several nights of very cold weather here in Maine (though I am not sure if this is causing it). One of my BO's is having a problem with her left eye. In the morning when I go out and wake them up (not light out yet before I go to work) her eye seems to be stuck shut. It takes her a few minutes to open it. I have watched her closely for about a week now and that eye seems to be a little red around the edges...not really weaping but some moisture is crusted around it. I have taken her in the house and cleaned it with a warm washcloth. She seems fine once she is up and going for the day.

No other symptoms..no coughing, sneezing, no running nose or discharge. Breathing seems normal (can't "hear" it) No foul smell, poops look normal and she is eating and drinking fine and seems like a hapyy camper.

Anyone have any clue what this could be? Should I put some anitbiotic cream on it just for good measure? Could she be getting too cold at night?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you. This terramycin ointment will not hurt her if she don't have any infections? Should I give it to everyone even though this one girl is the only one with problems?

No it wont hurt her but, I wouldnt give it to everyone. Try it for a couple of days. If no improvement then stop. Does she have a lot of feathers around her face? If so she might be in need of a little hair cut....
yippiechickie.gif

I checked on the feather question...none around her eyes that would be bothering it. Her eye looks fine tonight...it has only been a problem in the morning. I assume because that is when it is shut.
hu.gif

Thank you! I need to go to Agway tomorrow for some more oyster shells so I will check and see if they have any.

I just put them to bed for the night and her eye looks a little red around the rim. I am guessing it's some sort of cold/infection. I sure hope this is not the start of something! It is very cold, wet here....ugh.

Thanks again for your advise.
frow.gif

Make sure that any ointment or solution that you put in the eyes says on it for eye or opthalmic use. There are other ingredients in topical ointments that can cause pain and damage the eyes.
A great first line treatment for any mild eye infection people or animal is gently cleansing the closed eyelids with tear free baby shampoo 3-4 x day. Take a washcloth wet with warm water, place a few drops of tear free baby shampoo on a two corners. Gently wipe each closed eyelid with it's own corner and gently wipe away shampoo with opposite water only corners. Use clean washcloth each time. Avoid using same corner for each eye so that you don't spread any infection from 1 eye to the other.

I have been gently washing it for about a week. However, I did not use baby shampoo, but rinsed the washcloth with some antibacterial soap and then used the warm rinsed washcloth (figuring some antibacterial soap resin was still present but not enough to hurt her eye).

Her eye does not seem to be worse, nor better. As I stated in my first post...I am not sure what this is. No other symptoms, isn't closed every morning....but does look a bit red.

I think I will try terramycin ointment and see if this makes a difference.

Thanks for all the good advice. I will have to get some baby shampoo and keep on hand!!

Back
Top Bottom