Help please hatched too early

LaLeLuNurDerMondSchautZu

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2021
It’s day 20 and one of my chicks partially hatched. It looks like it needed a couple more days longer as eyes are closed fully and looks like yolk wasn’t absorbed.
It also seems stuck to the shell.
It’s breathing and making sounds.
Not sure what I can do to help : (

Attachments

• C7CD83C4-727C-4E55-A455-4DA10CB87FBA.jpeg
    C7CD83C4-727C-4E55-A455-4DA10CB87FBA.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 31
How is the chick? Day 20 is not uncommon to see a chick hatch out a day earlier. If their is yolk, I would leave it in the incubator to continue to absorb. Could take a day to do. Just keep an eye when the others start hatching as you don’t want it to get stumped on. Do you have any more pictures? The color looked a little off from my end.

How is the chick? Day 20 is not uncommon to see a chick hatch out a day earlier. If their is yolk, I would leave it in the incubator to continue to absorb. Could take a day to do. Just keep an eye when the others start hatching as you don’t want it to get stumped on. Do you have any more pictures? The color looked a little off from my end.
He is hanging in there but can’t stand. His one leg is dragging behind him like straight out. He is drinking from a syringe and his eyes are open. He moves around a lot but drages himself everywhere. He seems to be a fighter but I don’t know what tip do about his leg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 19
He is hanging in there but can’t stand. His one leg is dragging behind him like straight out. He is drinking from a syringe and his eyes are open. He moves around a lot but drages himself everywhere. He seems to be a fighter but I don’t know what tip do about his leg
These peeps with a struggling leg is one I refer to as one who needs training.

Just put the leg in correct position, & hold it there for a minute, or 2. It may need to be repeated a few times. Make sure your hand is cupped around the chick.

These peeps with a struggling leg is one I refer to as one who needs training.

Just put the leg in correct position, & hold it there for a minute, or 2. It may need to be repeated a few times. Make sure your hand is cupped around the chick.
Thank you, I will try this.
Would he have to eat now, like egg yolk or something?Or is water sufficient for now?

I always hold off on the food and water for 36-48hrs. I wait until I see that first stool if I have a small hatching. If it’s a larger hatching I would wait the 48hrs. They do fine since they still have the food from the yolk sac. That’s how they are able to mail live chicks as well.

I wanted to add that chicks can stay in the incubator for 24-48hrs and need to be fully dried before being removed. If you have other chicks hatching , I recommend not to open the incubator. It can cause the membranes to shrink wrap and suffocate the chicks trying to hatch.
As for the leg , it may need some help in support with training to get stronger.

I also am using a heat plate, which allows the chicks to move away freely if they get to hot. Always keep an eye on the chicks, because if you are using a heat lamp, than I would consider proving water sooner as it can get hot in a brooder. You can tell if they are uncomfortable if you hear a lot of loud chirps or see them huddle away from the lamp and panting. Congratulations on your hatch ! I hope the rest goes well 😊

I always hold off on the food and water for 36-48hrs. I wait until I see that first stool if I have a small hatching. If it’s a larger hatching I would wait the 48hrs. They do fine since they still have the food from the yolk sac. That’s how they are able to mail live chicks as well.

I wanted to add that chicks can stay in the incubator for 24-48hrs and need to be fully dried before being removed. If you have other chicks hatching , I recommend not to open the incubator. It can cause the membranes to shrink wrap and suffocate the chicks trying to hatch.
As for the leg , it may need some help in support with training to get stronger.
Thank you so much for the great advice!!

Back
Top Bottom