Help please. I'm new to chickens...

Mesha12

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2018
Okay so a friend gave us some roosters and chickens. I don't know how many we have of each. He normally let's them roost in the trees so we are too until we find a way to make a coop. Anyways the kids have found 10 eggs and the under the grill cover. Will the hen lay on them and keep them warm? They are on the ground what can I do to help them to get them to hatch.

Attachments

• 20181008_183102.jpg
    20181008_183102.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 42
Welcome to BYC!
If you can get pictures of the chickens we can help determine which are hens and which are roosters.
You may have to get rid of some of the roosters.
The hen must be broody to sit on eggs. You can’t force her to be broody. Having a broody breed helps. You can tell if she is broody because she will sit on the eggs, and puff up, growl, or peck you if you try to take the eggs.

Welcome to BYC!
If you can get pictures of the chickens we can help determine which are hens and which are roosters.
You may have to get rid of some of the roosters.
The hen must be broody to sit on eggs. You can’t force her to be broody. Having a broody breed helps. You can tell if she is broody because she will sit on the eggs, and puff up, growl, or peck you if you try to take the eggs.
They have to stay on the eggs during the day and night to hatch the eggs right? Also normally we only have roosters..

I think the only chicken is the one hiding behind the yellow one

Attachments

• 20181123_195730.jpg
    20181123_195730.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 13
How big does a coop have to be or what can it be made out of (cheap ideas) and how do I get them to go into it.

Yup, that’s the only hen. I would get her some more hens and get rid of some of those roosters.
A single hen could be over mated and that leads to disaster.

They have to stay on the eggs during the day and night to hatch the eggs right? Also normally we only have roosters..
Correct. The eggs will not hatch if the hen is not on them day and night. I'm not sure what you mean by "normally we only have roosters". Do you mean you've had roosters in the past, but no hens? (Your title says you're new to chickens. Do you mean chickens in general, or hens?) It's a little confusing, because roosters are also chickens.

From the picture you just posted, it looks to me like you have 3 roosters and a hen. If that is your only girl, she's going to have a hard time with all those roosters wanting to breed her. I'm not going to quote ratio numbers, but I can tell you that 3 roosters to one hen is way too many roosters.

How big does a coop have to be or what can it be made out of (cheap ideas) and how do I get them to go into it.
The rule of thumb is 4 square feet of space in the henhouse part and (if you plan on building a run) 10 square feet per chicken in the run.

Lots of people make coops out of recycled pallet wood.
The best way to get them to go in is catch the chickens, preferably at night when they are sleeping, and lock them in the coop for a week or so they know it is their home.

Back
Top Bottom